Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the future of eBooks? 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebook88

Programmer
May 19, 2002
HK
A few questions first:
What do you think is the future of eBooks?
How do you think it will benefit or probably cause problems in our lives?
Do you think it will be the next IT revolution, why?
How can IT professionals benefit from eBooks other than reading novels?
I'll appreciate your replies!

According to a newspaper report in HK, e-Texbooks will be launched in China this September where about 3 million students from Primary and Secondary schools will benefit from this initial project.

Another promise that will change our live style (where did I hear that before ?)

Documentation, I like to read very relaxed, preferable in a hamock, beside a river, or on a mountain, or in my bed before I go to sleep. E-book? not for me, pdf file, I print it out and read it where I want. Not behind the computer.

Maybe if they put, Asterix, Conan, Spiderman, Lucky Luck in electronic format, I would be interested. Steven van Els
SAvanEls@cq-link.sr

Thank you Svanels for sharing your views.

I'll share my personal view about ebooks. I like reading stuff that benefits and contributes to my understanding of the business, physical and technological world - and that means a lot of non-fiction. I spent much $$$ on reading materials that soon swamped my apartment. I kept building bookshelves but soon many of reading materials also ended up in boxes. Now, I think it would be most suitable for me to have several dedicated ebook reading devices where hundreds of titles can be stored on each of them. Imagine being able to lug hundreds of books with you where ever you go? And of course, as time goes by, some books become outdated and getting rid of them will be really easy. The cons: Well, not enough of the non-fiction books have been converted. If all the non-fictions and (fictions too)are converted to different ebook formats, I will gladly do away with paper books!

Does anyone of you own a dedicated ebook reading device? Can you share with us your experience? eBook88: Guide to Electronic Publishing

For me, I like the idea of E-books for my technical documentation. less shelf space required, and easy to despose of when obsolete. Also, when I want to send a paragraph to someone, it would no longer require scanning...

I do not, however like the idea for fiction. If I want to read a novel, I like to have a book in my hand before bed! I can never sleep well right after turning off a monitor, so these e-books would end up being printed, canceling out their advantages...

Thank you Garwain for sharing your views.

I also feel that having non-fictions in eBook format sort of justify the cost as it can be read, re-read and be used as reference materials over and over again (just like textbooks). I am not sure if there are people who would read and re-read a novel several times. Maybe there are.

Just a bold vision:

If only eBook devices can be available so cheaply - like calculators - and such are donated to children in far away places where recieving education is a rare luxury, how wonderful that will be!

eBook88: Guide to Electronic Publishing

One BIG plus for the eBook would be back in school. Wether it was college, high school, or grade school, it would make life nice and easy.

Personally though, like everyone else, I like my personal reading to be in normal paper format. At work I'm mostly behind a PC or Workstation, where the documentation is in a pdf sitting on the hard drive right in front of me. I really don't think I'd use an e-Book at this point in my carrer... unless I decided to go back to school for more than 1-2 classes a semester. Jarod, The Lab Guy
[morning]

Thank you thelabguy for your feedback.

It is so interesting to hear from people in the IT field and their thoughts about eBooks.

Of course eBooks don't just come in .pdf formats, there are more than 15 different formats! and more than 12 different kinds of dedicated reading devices, most of which are the same size as a paperback books. Not every body needs a computer to read ebooks, some ebooks can also be downloaded straight from the phone line!

As computer/IT professionals deal with computers all day long, it is healthy and understandable that if one wishes to read for leisure, another medium of print is usually preferred than the screen.

I still remembered way back in 1994 when the Internet first started becoming popular, not many people in the general population understand this technology and are afraid to use it. Now it has become such an indispensible technology! Maybe eBooks will reach this status in years to come.

It could be a very good idea starting to promote e-books in the educational field. But with this fierce competition in the computer industry we would end up with devices, connecting to GPS, internet, television, online gamesetc. And end-up with a complete computer, overshooting the purpose of reading.
In my eyes secondary school ages 12 year and up, history, geography, science could have a great benefit.

Lower then that, I say children has to master writing, thinking and reading skills.

I refuse to become a slave of a computer, nor will my children. Games they can play, internet and chatting is a no no. The eldest is 10 years old.

I once was in supermarket with long files and there was a black-out. That afternoon they lost a lot of money because they didn't know how to work with a calculator anymore. Steven van Els
SAvanEls@cq-link.sr

I think when electronic paper gets further down the line it will help here,
never have to turn a page ! that will be grand

most handy for electronic newspapers on the tube where you are figthing for elbow room,

hope they making it waterproof, or reading in the bath or on the beach could turn nasty ;)

Very interesting! Thank you for the responses svanels and Chance1234. Yes, Chance1234, electronic newspaper may one day be a reality I think. E-INK is developing the technology. And we cut down less trees too. I actually dislike getting the black ink on my hands, and sheets falling all over the place. What a waste of paper, and what a lot of paper!

As in all inventions, there are pros and cons, good and evil. I fully agree with svanels, that younger children have to master those basic skills of writing, thinking and reading first. About your comments regarding the blackout incident,I also feel that technology has become so advanced that alot of people has taken for granted all the conveniences they are enjoying. If our younger generations don't know how to count, what will the future of IT be? They have to master the basics first.

This has something to do with different cultures. In western countries, elementary school Kids usually do not carry many textbooks, but it is very different in Asian countries (Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan, Koreo). Many kids as young as 6 year olds have to carry heavy schoolbags full of textbooks. I pity them (maybe that's why they do not grow as tall as their Western counterparts ????). eTextbooks will definitely be beneficial in this case.

Can anyone think of more PROS and CONS of ebooks? I would like to hear from you. eBook88: Guide to Electronic Publishing

Svanels said:
I once was in supermarket with long files and there was a black-out. That afternoon they lost a lot of money because they didn't know how to work with a calculator anymore.
-------------
Yeah, I've had a similar experiance. Power went out while I had just got to the cashier. Waited for an hour while they couldn't do anything because they didn't tag the price on each product, so they required their barcode reader to be able to know the price of the product! When I picked up the flyer on the counter and pointed out the prices of each item, they calculated everything by hand (ok, I did the calculations by hand) just to find that without power, the cash drawer wouldn't open... I got fed up and left the cashier and bag boy a tip of about $15 because I wanted to get home before my icecream was completely melted...

What about the value of a books integrity?

Electronic formatts are so easily editable. Why I hear that someone recently made the first realistic electronic video based upon someones photograph and a recording of a few minutes of their voice. This technology will make it possible to make it look like you performed some act or said something that you would never do or say.

If a book is published their can be no doubt as to its authenticty. Conversely, people can edit twist change and alter anything written in electronic format. It's real difficult to duplicate a book, not impossible, but difficult and probably more work than it is worth.

Ron

Thank you shelron for your contribution.

You have a point there. Interactivity in eBooks is good in most cases but can be bad as well. As there are all kinds of different ebooks formats involved, and many times, the level of security can be set by the ebook author or producer. One can allow copying, printing, but to really take the book apart is quite difficult - unless the programmer of the particular ebook software has not done a good job. But like any so called "SECURE" systems, hackers can still break in if he/she is determined enough, and if it's worth the effort to do so of course.

Also with eBooks, anyone can be an Author, and that means the quality of reading materials may be compromised. Some eBooks undergo stringent editing before hitting the market but again some don't. Many may be published by authors who wants to make a quick buck! So it's up to the consumer to be wise and to make a good choice. Some may even carry viruses if not carefully scanned - but again that is the same with other software.

Thank you. Keep your ideas flowing! I wish other people who are involved in the eBook industry and technology could read these! eBook88: Guide to Electronic Publishing

Well I use ebooks a lot. Both for my work and my pleasure. We also make a lot of ebooks that are mostly directed to the business world. Having a catalogue on your desktop with all the goodies you need for the office equipment is real nice. If you wan't to order something we include a form that people can send to the manufacturer... It saves a lot of paper (and wood). it is easyly updatable and you can do more than on a plain paper version.

I think the future for ebooks lies in the field of B2B and in the field of students having there course documents on the intranet. Books for entertainment will always have their place. It is much nicer to have a plain paper book in your hand in stead of a PCD. But that is something we like because we are used to this technique.

It's a little bit liike MP3. I still like my vinyl and my CD's, but the youngsters go for the MP3 because it is easy to get and a lot of the time for free. They take the poor quality and all the other deontology. Don't forget whatever we might think the future is not ours

grillhouse

I personally find ebooks very hard to read. If I have to read a text, I will print it out and read it then. My eyes get tired from staring at the computer screen.If there would be devices that would make it easier to read without your eyes hurting,that would solve a lot,and if there are,they sure are not popular cause I have never seen one in a shop.
Another problem:
When I use a pdf about some program language,I want to read and experiment on my computer at the same time. The problem that I always have is that I have to devide my screen in 2,which is quite annoying. When you program you need space on your screen (programming environments like jbuilder or so tend to have a lot of buttons so they need much space)
and when you read,you also want to see a lot so that you don't have to scroll your window all the time.
If you take a paper book,you can see both the screen and the book in full glory.
You can also make notitions quickely in a book (can you do that with those special devices?).

thnx. Greetz,

The Muppeteer.

themuppeteer@hotmail.com

Don't eat yellow snow...

My solutions was to buy a MAtrox Millenium vid card with dualhead so I can have my web browser, or acrobat on one screen (my trusty old 13") and my development setup on the main screen (nice viewsonic 21")

Indeed Muppeteer a lot of ebooks aren't well made. When we make an catalogue for one of our clients, we also make an e-version of it. But the font size, leading and kind of font or specially chosen for the e-version. Making a layout that is made for paper, let's say a A4, and using this as your basis for on screen reading isn't any good. A screen is a totally different thing (size, luminosity,...). So we create a totally new layout.
On the reading devices software ot hardware a lot of stuff has to be done. I heard Acrobat was combining The Reader with the E-Book Reader. This would be a step in the good direction.

I'm now working on a catalogue that has sound and video in it to explain some of possibilities of the funrniture and how to assemble it. Those possibilities are of different kind.

I know it isn't perfect but given time and some common sense I can see a lot of advantages, for disabled or blind people. Cause you can make a spoken version of the e-book.

grillhouse

Thank you grillhouse, garwain and themuppeteer for your delightful contributions to this discussion and for taking the time to answer each others questions.

I am inviting eBook industry people to come and read this forum and hopefully they can make their own contributions in the light of their experiences.

You are right, Themuppeteer, for saying that eBook devices are not so popular yet. I was trying to buy one in HK but couldn't find any available. Not many electronic shops sell ebook devices, even in many other countries. Many have to be bought online directly from the manufacturer. Some are still not on sale, though are suppose to hit the market by the end of this year and next. However, my feelings are that once people get used to the idea, it might become one those "MUST HAVES" like PDAs, Handhelds and mobile phones! It might even become a craze like YOYOs, Pokemon, scooters and Tops, with the younger generation.

If anyone of you have used a dedicated ebook device before, I'd love to hear your experience.

I find you guys are missing the whole point. E-books is trying to emulate the Book which is the wrong paradigm. When it comes to documentation especially, what we need is a database concept of information where a topic is covered once and only once. For example, there are probably 200 books out for Windows 2000 - each of which covers the same subject more or less. So no matter how efficient and easy to use, eBooks fail just like physical books - information is stored in such a way as to sell books, not disseminate information.

The book industry is trying to do the same as the record industry - they can't envision a world where the BOOK doesn't exist. Well the fact is that the Book and the CD are physical concepts and these companies have to realize that they can make money without selling physical objects or even their electronic counterparts. They are really selling content to which advertising and marketing can be successfully attached. For instance, Tiger Woods is a golfer but more money is made from attaching products to his image that from hitting golf balls. If I had to pay money to see Tiger Woods play, I wouldn't do it, but I will watch him 'for free' and associate Buick Rendevous with success. Ditto with Britney Spears.

E-mail, E-Books and anything else with E in front will ultimately fail (except eBay).

Thank you PTCruiserII for your input. New gadgets, inventions are invented not for one simple reason - there are the commercial aspect, the "want" aspect, the "need" aspect and probably a hundred and one other reasons. I fully agree with that point you mention "When it comes to documentation especially, what we need is a database concept of information where a topic is covered once and only once. For example, there are probably 200 books out for Windows 2000 - each of which covers the same subject more or less."--- but that won't be possible in a real world. Writers need to write, publishers need to publish and that's how they earn a living. It is the same as in healthcare, education and others.

Again as in all things, there is always a place for the "traditional". In my hearts of hearts, I do not see how eBooks can completely replace pBooks. For example, POP music is nice - but there are many followers of "Classical music" too. Will post offices be a thing of the past just because emails are so common now? What about the parcels? You know the answer.

Technically, eBooks can't outlast its paper counterparts. What happens if you drop an eBook device? Gone will be all your investments!! Throw a book across the room and it still could be read ;>>Will an eBook device work in the heat of the desert or the cold of the ARTIC? Probably not but pBook will. Batteries need to be charged, or your book goes dead!( Or can some somebody please invent one that uses photocells? )

But the element of convenience is a BIG PLUS for eBooks. eBook88: Guide to Electronic Publishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back