Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What exactly does the option "Number of retries allowed" give me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

djmnyc

Programmer
Oct 23, 2003
US
Hello. Perhaps someone can help me with this scheduling requirement.

I have one report that I want to use as a "trigger" to kick off the generation of several other reports. Let's call this one report "checkForData".

I want to do the following:

- Run checkForData at 3:30am. If it succeeds, it will send an event which several other reports (that have already been shceduled) are waiting for. If it fails, I would like this report to rerun 10 minutes later.

I was hoping the "Number of retries allowed", and "Retry interval in seconds" options would allow me to do this, but it is not working at all.

Instead, the report fails, and it is not rerun again.

thanks,
dan

Got this from Admin.pdf

Number of retries allowed
This number indicates the number of times a job server will attempt to process a report if the first attempt is not successful. By default, the number is zero.

Retry interval in seconds
Crystal Enterprise will wait for the specified number of seconds to pass before attempting to process a report again (if the first attempt failed). The default setting is 1800 seconds.

I have a feeling that the Number of retries allowed is only in case the Job Server is busy, therefore if a Job has failed, it has still been processed by the jobserver.

In this case you could daisy chain a number of reports to run one after the other upon a failure trigger....

Reebo
UK

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Thanks very much Reebo.

I have a silly question ... where did you get that Admin.pdf document from? Is it available on the crystal support website? I am having the hardest time finding any documentation on our Crystal Enterprise.

I think instead of going with the daisy-chaining of several reports to initiate re-run logic, I will use file-based events.

Now my problem is this ... where to find documentation and examples on how to set this up. LOL No documentation again. The simple help file from the CE web app simply explains what the web form options are used for.

I need to know ... can the crystal events server poll a directory on another box, and if so, how do I specify this within the web app framework?

Dan

On your CE cd in a directory called docs....

Reebo
UK

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Ah, I see. lol

well, that's my problem. I can't locate the CD here. Thanks anyway.

If you post a mail address I can send it to you, it's 3mb zipped or 4.5mb uncompressed....

Reebo
UK

Great. Thanks Reebo.

My e-mail address here is dmerkel@espeed.com

Cheers,
Dan

Away it goes......

Reebo
UK

Now here's something you may want to know about file-based events: When the file is created, the event is triggered. If a report is waiting to run, dependent on the event, it will begin to process.

However, if the event is triggered BEFORE the report is scheduled to run, the report will sit and wait until the NEXT time the event occurs.

You may need to write code in your scheduler to look for the event-trigger file if you want the creation of the file to represent a persistent event.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back