Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What database software should I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2014
GB
Hello there,
Let me give you a quick brief about our current situation and what I would like to achieve.
We are a training provider with less than 5 users (I mean employees who input information). We need to store information about our learners.
At the moment, we store all our information in an excel spreadsheets. We have really a few - qualification registrations, tracking what happens with learners, attendance registration (it is also the excel spreadsheet, which currently is fetching learners details from external spreadsheets) etc.
We have a lot of information which is unnecessary and what is worse, we have to type again and again learners' details etc.
Therefore I came up with an idea of setting up a central located file with some relevant pieces of information - a database. I have been planning to create 5 tables to store and exchange information with each other. And here comes my question - what database software should I use?
Our current software specification is:
 1 Windows SBS 2008 Server working as DC, Exchange server etc.
 All computers used by staff are in a domain
 All computers used by staff are running Office 2013 Professional Plus.
 Our network is working mainly with 1 GBit/s speed
Should I use Access 2013? Or maybe database installed on our main server?
The database will be used by a few users at the time by using forms to fill data in, and strongly relied on Microsoft office applications.

As far as the actual database, you might be able to use an MS-SQL express version, but there are limitations (do not remember them all right now). That way it would be rather easy to build an MS-Access user interface. But I know that a number of people like using MySQL. It is the fraction of the price of MS-SQL. At least if you go with just MS-Access, be sure to separate the tables off in what is know as a Front End/Back End set up. And every user gets their own copy of the Front End.

I hope this helps.

I really would like avoid using extra software for this. I will therefore try to work with MS-SQL Express 2005 which is allready on the server, if not Access 2013.

Thank you for your help, I will come back to you once database will be up and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back