Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What command can I use to do the following ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hnts

IS-IT--Management
Dec 9, 2003
US
I have an Excel Workbook with 2 worsheets labeled 1) Medicare Hospitalized List and a second worksheet labeled 2) Hospitals.

The first worksheet includes 7 columnar fields labeled A)Patient Name, B)Entry Date, C)Hospital, D)Phone Number, E)Room Number, F)Status and G)Discharge Date.

The second worksheet has a list of all the available hospitals in the area and includes the following data: A)Number, B)Name and C)Telphone #.

I would like to know what function to use to have the first worksheet look at the second and plug in that data. Example ... The person entering the data into the first worksheet enters name, and entry date adn then looks to sheet # 2 and enters the coresponding name and number of the hospital.

How is that done? Any input would be helpful.

Thanks

Rudy

Believe the function would either be VLOOKUP or HLOOKUP [vertical lookup or horizontal lookup] depending on how you need to search the corresponding worksheet. It is a bit tricky to set up, but it works great.

=vlookup(<sheet1 criteria>,<sheet2 Table>,<Table column>,0)

<sheet1 criteria> is the reference on sheet 1 that will search the table on sheet 2

<sheet2 Table> is the table of sheet two.

<Table column> is the number of the column for the data you want.

Example Data:

Sheet 1:

Col A Col B Col C Col D ColC
Pat Name Date Hosp# Hosp Name Hosp Tel#

Sheet 2:

Col A Col B Col C
Hosp# Hosp Name Hosp Tel#

On sheet 1 Cell D2:
=VLOOKUP(C2,sheet2!A:C,2,0)
and Cell E2:
=VLOOKUP(C2,sheet2!A:C,3,0)

If you want blanks if nothing is found then:

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(C2,sheet2!A:C,2,0)),&quot;&quot;,VLOOKUP(C2,sheet2!A:C,2,0))

Blue [dragon]

If I wasn't Blue, I would just be a Dragon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back