Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

We've got serious echo in our VoIP system 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtbike

IS-IT--Management
Dec 9, 2002
US
We have both WiFi and wired phones. Could it be that we have too many access points? Or too few? We have QOS turned on but there is considerable arguement that QOS is not seeing all packets.
Thanks for the help.

Which model BCM? Which release? What model IP sets (i2002/2004, phase 1, phase 2, etc). What revision firmware is on the sets?

Need just a bit more info.

BCM version 3.6 3.1a 1
Plat: SH815
I2004 phone NTDU92
I dunno about Phase 1 or 2 ... how do I check?
How do I check firmware version?

Thanks for all the help here.

Scott in Charlotte, NC
FYI: I'm a somewhat clueless SysAdmin with very limited knowledge of telephony. Hell I pronounce it tele-phooney.

NTDU92 is a phase 2 set.

You can see the firmware version if you log into the Unified Manager, open Services, IP Telephony, IP Terminals, Nortel IP Terminals, then (I think this is what it's called) IP terminal status.

Also, do you have analog trunks or a T1/PRI?

I have 50 BCM's connected over full T1's, I turned off QOS and I don't have any echo. there 4 VOIP trunks at each location plus 1 Option 11C with 24 trunks.

Is the echo confined to either station to station calling or only when you call out of the system? If it is all the time, probably a system (BCM, network, hardware) issue. If it only happens when you make calls outside the system, it may be more related to the PSTN trunking and may end up being a line timing issue (assuming there is a digital circuit feeding this system). Just a few preliminary thoughts as we wait for more information.

The ECHO happens to the outside guy calling in and from inside to inside. There seems to be a "time of day" thing in that the peak telephone times, 10:30am and 2:30pm, are the most likely.
I can't get into the Unified Manager 'cuz I really don't know what I'm doing. Hopefully I can get our contact with the phone company to chime in with what you request. Thanks for all the help.

Scott

As a troubleshooting step, try and hard set each ethernet port as 100M full duplex on your switches and/or routers that connect to the VoIP network. Sometimes, ethernet devices fail to negotiate the proper speed and duplex mode when they are left in auto mode. The more static assignments you can make (that match), the less points of potential failure you will have.

What you can also do is see about connecting an IP station directly to the "other" LAN port of the BCM via a regular cross over patch cable and try to make a call. This will bypass your data network and test the phone talking to the BCM and vice versa. If you have a clear speech path, this tends to point toward your network. Try to check and/or leave that station voicemail to test BCM to phone connectivity speech quality. Also try to place and receive some calls via the PSTN on this phone to see what happens. If all clear with a directly connected phone via a patch cable, you probably have network issues.

Let us know how it goes.

The system Dirtbike has is a Nortel Succession 4.0 he als0 has an SRG tied in via T1. The firmware on the sets is D88. All switch ports connected to the "Phone System" and "sets" are set at 100 full. They use full DHCP and have 2211 wirless sets connecting via 2230 AP points, that are tied to a 2245 and a 2270. They are using 460POE switches and 1 HP switch I do not recall the model. The phones and all "phone System" connections are in the 460. There is a new version of firmware on Nortels web site, D98, but I have heard there is an issue with it. Is any one using it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back