Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Welcome to Making an Impression

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all of you guys, I never knew there was such a group in tek-tips but i am glad because i need to get my grammar and speech up and from the sound of the description this can probably help me out and so i am excited. My unique handle comes from my love for AMD. I started off with a K6-2 333mhz back in 98, then i moved up to a K7 1000 mhz, next, i built my amd athlon xp 2500 system and now my amd sempron laptop, so as you can see i only run AMD hehe, and 1984 is my birth year of course.

amdathlonxp1984 said:
...and 1984 is my birth year of course.

Gosh... I feel old... :(

Chacal, Inc.[wavey]

[red]1984??[/red]

You silly kids.

Why, when I was a kid "remotes" had wires attached to the TV. Before that, we had to walk up to 10 feet to change the channel between one of the three stations we received. AND WE LIKED IT. (Dang, now I feel old, too!)

Seriously, amdathlon1984, welcome to Tek-Tips! It is a very cool place!

Tim

[blue]______________________________________________________________
I love logging onto Tek-Tips. It's always so exciting to see what the hell I
said yesterday.
[/blue]

84? My wife is older...

Hmmm maybe time for a new wife...

Casper

There is room for all of gods creatures, "Right Beside the Mashed Potatoes".

amdathlonxp1984 said:
I started off with a K6-2 333mhz back in 98.

Mu god!! I started off with a XT86!!! 8086 processor, 8 MHz, 640MB RAM, 20MB HDD, DOS 3.1, before that, obviously the incomparable Atari 800XL and sinclair!

ufff..[pimp]

Chacal, Inc.[wavey]

You young whippersnappers - I built my first computer (1978 or so) from a kit (Heathkit H8). 2.048 MHz 8080, 16 KB (that's 16,384 bytes) of RAM. When I got up to 24K RAM and a Z80 processor, I bought a copy of Bill Gates' MBASIC. I had a whopping 875 bytes left to write programs with after MBASIC loaded.

Me transmitte sursum, Caledoni!

Ahh 1984, the year i graduated high school and made enough to buy my first computer, a commodore 64 =) It had 64k ram, but the top 24k (except for that 4k spot) was used by basic and kernel roms and the character generator. 2k for low memory stuff for the kernel and basic and you got about 38k usable for basic.

6510 was a joy to learn on that old thing. Raster scan interrupts anyone?

Anyway, hi, i'm kordaff. I've been using Kordaff as a nick since I made a character in jan 2001 on the Tribunal server. I've used it as my nick on quite a few other accounts and web posts since then.

Kordaff Nobleheart - dwarven cleric / perl hacker

For the benefit of our newer members ...

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

I guess I never did post in here!
I don't feel so bad about the origin of my nickname, since Kordaff went first (and maybe others, do you expect me to read the whole thing? Yes? You do? Geez!)

Back in 2000, I joined my guild (back then, Diablo players, mostly) on a new-ish game called Everquest (I did a few years on Solusek Ro and a few more on Luclin). I couldn't use my then-current nickname, Muad'Dib, as it didn't really work as a fantasy name. The thought fleetingly crossed my mind to write "Muaddibb" or something similar, but I thought it was an insult to the characters (both my EQ character and Paul Atreides), so I let my fingers type. A few odd names later, Trevoke came out, and I liked it, and I kept it, and that's it :)

Muad'Dib is too common anyway. I have considered once or twice going by my bard's name on Luclin, Aaedaien, but I figured there was no way to pronounce that and people may just start calling me 'A'...

"That time in Seattle... was a nightmare. I came out of it dead broke, without a house, without anything except a girlfriend and a knowledge of UNIX."
"Well, that's something," Avi says. "Normally those two are mutually exclusive."
-- Neal Stephenson, "Cryptonomicon"

Hi all..

Turkbear is a combination of part of the title of a movie I really LIked ( Turk182) and my wife's childhood nickname (Bear ) note: I have learned not to ask..

Started with an Apple IIx ( the 'speedy' model)..
Added a Z80 emulator and a Sprite board - with those, I could do some Graphics programming that I still cannot do with my Dell ( at least not as easily)..

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

CC,

Thanks for the rewind.

I'm BoxHead. The name comes from the time when one of my older brothers moved from Chicago to California and got a job in a Pizza parlor. He applied for the job, interviewed with the owner, got hired and started working in a 20 minute period. First thing, he was told to go into the store room and pre-fold 100 delivery boxes. He was feeling pretty overwhelmed by the whirlwind hiring and got himself into a state where he kept screwing up the boxes. A few minutes later the owner came by to see how he was doing and my brother, completely exasperated asked, "Is there some trick to folding these? I've never done it before, you know."

The owner smiled and said, "I'm sorry. Didn't I tell you? The trick to folding these boxes is you've got to be smarter than the box."

I had a construction company at the time working with a different brother and we loved the story so much that a standard work instruction on our jobs would be, "You've got to be smarter than the drywall." Or smarter than the paint or hammer or whatever. When things didn't go as planned, it would normally be attributed to something along the lines of "that was some pretty smart drywall today!" I once explained the phrase to a new employee and as he and my younger brother walked away I heard my brother saying, "That's why we call him BoxHead - when he's not around."

When I decided to close the construction company and get into computers, my California brother left me a message warning me that computers were "pretty smart boxes."

The name just seemed to fit (in more ways than one). [smile]

John

Hello everyone!

mgwils hmmm.... nothing to fancy behind it first initial m middle initial g last name Wilson. Looking through forums for a SQL question and google sent me here. Liked what I saw, knew I'd be back, not enough time to think of anything cooler, used my old NT login. Simple as that.

30 years old mom got me started with a introduction to dos book and the sensational Commodore 64.
Kordaff said:
a commodore 64 =) It had 64k ram, but the top 24k (except for that 4k spot) was used by basic and kernel roms and the character generator. 2k for low memory stuff for the kernel and basic and you got about 38k usable for basic.
Haven't met a taller keyboard yet :)

Ended up browsing my way here, looked like a fun post, thought I'd grace myself with your presence. Also noticed fellow Utahn (SantaMufasa) and thought i'd turn my wheels and do a little reading.

Been on tek-tips since july 2000.
Reading some of these stories has given me a chuckle.
Started out with a TRS-80 Model III. Then at 16 paid cash for a Laser 286 w/ 1M Ram, 40M HDD, MSDOS 4.01, SVGA Monitor, 2400 baud modem. Ah, the good ol days when a PC could boot in less than 10 seconds and of the BBS. Used every M$ OS since, but mostly into Linux for the past 7 yrs. SuSE for the past 3 as well as SLES 9.

--------------
Good Luck
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

I just wanted to take the opportunity to say 'Hello', so ,em, 'Hello ALL'

I've been really fascinated reading the thought processes that have gone in to the thinking of online names.

I chose my moniker a few years back when I first stumbled upon this site. At the time I was working on a web project that needed to some speedy online help with. I was brought in to fix said project when both users and management couldn't agree on its goals. I needed to appear to satisfy both sides while not appearing to compromise to either side, hence being StuckInTheMiddle. (I didn’t stay there long ;). Also it’s a reference to a song from a favorite film of mine at the time 'Reservoir Dogs'.

A,

--------------
Good Luck

Steve here, no imagination for my nick (Steve Budzynski).

Been on TT since last year, I try to post as much as I can!

Born and raised in Maryland and currently attending the University of Maryland. Working toward a major in Logistics, Transportation, and Supply Chain Management! Hi to my fellow Tek-Tipers and thank all of you for all the help you have given me and will continue to give me!

PS. born in 86 here!

Steve

Be :)

'86?!?!?!

You're making me feel old and I was an '83er!!

Anyways my handle is made of my name (Becki) and cos I used to support Jenson Button (F1 driver), it's his surname on the end. Sad I know ;-)

I have jeans older that that! [morning]

[sup]Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.[/sup][sup] ~George Bernard Shaw[/sup]
Consultant Developer/Analyst Oracle, Forms, Reports & PL/SQL (Windows)
My website: Emu Products Plus

You have jeans older then my genes!

Steve

Be :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back