Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird problem with PowerPoint 2003 Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuhbar

Technical User
May 14, 2002
DE
I got a PowerPoint 2003 File, which I cannot open with my installed version of PowerPoint2003. The error message is something like this: PowerPoint could not read the file ABC.

I tried it on another System using the PowerPoint2003 Viewer. This works. ??

When I compare this ppt file extended information (right click in explorer...) with the information of a newly created ppt2003-file on my system there are differences:

Received ppt file:
under the application entry it says: "MS PowerPoint 4.0", but I am dead sure, the sender used PP2003!

Newly created ppt file:
under the application entry it says: "MS Office PowerPoint"
no number!

Both Systems run with Windows XP SP1, but with different security update status. Could this be the reason?

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Well, could it be that the other user created it, and told it to save to an older version? I would think it would open either way.. maybe there is a particular method in powerpoint for importing files created in older formats?

Stephen [infinity]
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life:
no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6 KJV

this could be, but if we both use PP2003 we only could save it the same format from PPT 97 - PPT 03, so it should work in my opinion.

?

I would think so as well, but it's worth a try..

Stephen [infinity]

Found no import function for this case.

The strange thing is, that the file can be opened on another pc running PP2003. Once saved there I can open it on my pc.

I do not get the clue.

Well, if same version of Windows and same version of PowerPoint, and both have all updates, then I would guess one of two things first:

1.) Possibly there is a file/program error, and reinstalling Powerpoint will fix.

2.) Possibly a antivirus or spyware app on your computer is affecting it?

There has got to be some difference between the two machines as far as what is installed, or else, possibly you just need to try reinstalling it, maybe one dll or something did not get installed correctly.

Stephen [infinity]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back