Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird Normal template issue - Normal not replicating... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liela

Instructor
Apr 24, 2006
US
Ok I have a weird one here. I have had several users open word documents and while they are working in them, they freeze and have to restart. Upon further investigation I found that in each case there was a small square in the users document and that same square appears even when the user opens a new document. So when I attempted to replace the users normal template, the user did not have a normal template. I know it sounds crazy but it's true. So I copied a Normal.dot template from another location and the users worked fine. Now, please note I am NOT working in a vanilla Word environment. We are running on a Thin Client Server in a Citrix environment with several home made macros to produce certain things in Word. Any help anyone could be would be great!

Version?
Are (were?) these "home made macros" to produce "certain things" in the normal.dot?
Were they in a global template?
Do you have any global templates operating?
Any COM addins?
When you replaced normal.dot does it stay fixed?

You do have enough information to really work with.

Gerry

Most likely the normal dot in the citrix is "compromised". Replace with a clean one and lock it.

Fumei:

We are using Microsoft Office 2002, Citrx version 8. The macros are used to produce forms in Word, not really dealing with the normal. Yes the normal does stay fixed when I replace it. I don't believe we have COM add-ins but I have queried one of my co-workers about this. Thank you for the information and any thing else you could provide.

Liela

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back