Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weekly Stay and a MICS COnfiguration

Status
Not open for further replies.

djtt

Vendor
Aug 8, 2008
US
A Weekly / Monthly Stay wants me to replace their old PBX. They only want bare bones no VM for the residents but probably AA for when the front desk is gone.

I was thinking of trying to save them money by keeping their old analog 2500 sets but I would have to expand the MICS to hold 230 sets by using an ASM module. Can I install that many ASM's to handle all these sets? If so what config. woudl I use?

I was also thinking about just using M7100 sets. There are a lot of refurbs. real cheap on the market.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Of course if I use the M7100's I would have to use I believe 15 M0X16 Copper or Fiber Station Module.

U can't have that many analog sets on the system. What s/w rls are u using? U can't have 15 Fiber modules.

I was planning on using rom 6.0 to maybe 7.1. Any other suggestions. I would like to stay with Nortel. What other platform would you suggest. If I have to learn it I would like it to be easy for me to learn so I can get this in. I can always learn a new project on the fly.

I have worked on Partner and Merlins before.

Well you'll need XC software for sure if you want that many digital stations, but as for the ASM modules, they are 8-port only, you'd burn through ALOT of ports on that. I'd do an IP BBX with a bunch of 24-port FXS gateways, or find me a nice Option 11....

the Norstar max's out at 224 stations of that only a max of 192 stations could be acquired with ASM's you would have to get ATA's for the additional ...

you could network 2 MICS one with XS software together to get what you are looking for with a T1/PRI between them then ASM's to handel the analog sets, wake up calls and the hotel package use would require that there be a 73XX phone on the reception desk for each system but you could make it work. you would also need at least 2 maybe 2 or more PRI on the system to the telco to handel the call volume.

----------------------------
Hill?? What hill??
I didn't see any $%@#(*$ Hill!!
----------------------------
JerryReeve
Communication Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

I just came back from the site and they have an old NEC installed and the com. closet is a horror story of wires.

Of course they are looking for the least cost. I have never worked on Meridian or Option 11 are they easy to learn on? How about costs? Any secondary market of parts?

Regarding the calls volume looks like they are only going to provide about 20 loop lines for the residents. This is a low end Weekly stay. For example the 2500 sets get stolen and damaged often.

This site only wants the residents to have basic voice mail and only dial 9 local calls. No other hospitality features.

Like stated above a single MICS will not accomplish this. You should be able to get an out of service option 11 with mer mail, not real sure of pricing though. But if you do go that rout make sure you can get the RTU (rights to use) paper work on the system. This way if they ever do upgrade the system they will be able to. Have you looked at the BCM 450, I think it can go up to 300 users. Someone here can correct me if I'm worng on that.

I agree....BCM 450 with M7100's.
You can buy the 7100's refurbished if costing is an issue.

I once walked into a telephone room at an old age home around Arora Ontario and what a site....2 rows of shelfs circling the whole room which was an ok size full of ATA1's and channels moulding jammed with custom made long mod cards.
It was wierd site for the eyes but it worked.

I just want to avoid a quick learn as I go on a platform that I have not wokred on. This client has several smaller properties that will ork well with MICS so I am trying to stay with MICS everything. I know it pretty well so install will not require me to train myself on the fly.

What do you think about a combination of both ASM's using 2500 single line sets and then the rest using M7100's as traditional digital ports. Will that give me all 230 rooms plus a few for the front desk?

The M7100's are a dime a dozen and I should have enough room on a NAM 4.1 or higher for all the voice mail service.

What do you think?

Also, someone suggested networking two MICS together. Do you have any dos. that will instruct me on this procedure? Will the two linked MICS act as one large system?

Well I dug and found some docs. regarding networking several MICS to gether but it was for example in distant cities or across town via PRI.

Since these will be in the same communications closet for use on the same property how should I physically connect them so they are networked together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back