Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Website design with Expanding Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivthespiv

Technical User
Apr 27, 2000
GB
Hiya<br>Thanks for listening ! I need to build a website with a large database attached.&nbsp;&nbsp;Visitors need to be able to search for info held in the database and I need to increase the info in the database at least monthly.<br>I have no programming experience at all.<br>I know I must learn HTML but what should I learn after that ?&nbsp;&nbsp;I know there are different database software choices available but which to choose ?&nbsp;&nbsp;All advice will be very gratefully accepted. Please remember I have no programming experience all !!!!!!<br>

You don't need to take care of database problem . You should bother about your harddisk space and RAM capacity. Becuase the property to expand database is the problem of Database designer. So just have enough memory on your system . You can install Oracle or MS-SQL server databases.<br><br>Thanx<br>Siddhartha Singh<br><A HREF="mailto:ssingh@aztecsoft.com">ssingh@aztecsoft.com</A>

vivthespiv,<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Planning is 90% of the work. You will not only need to decide what data base to use, but how it will be accessed, who will need to access it, permissions, firewalls, etc.<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;You mention a large data base that <u>visitors</u> need to access. Do they update the data base or is it read-only for them. Will the DB need to handle &quot;blobs&quot; (<i>binary large objects</i>) like graphs, pictures, etc.?<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;How many people will have a hand in keeping the site up, just you, or will you have a DBA, Web Master, etc?<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Answers to questions like these will help determine which route you need to go. DB like Oracle have alot of overhead but may be a better choice for large applications. OODB like Jasmineii or Poet may work for smaller applications. <br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;You may have to learn Java, and XML as well as HTML. Sounds like an ambitious project. A <b>LOT</b> of fore-thought will save a <b>lot</b> of time latter.<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Good Luck.<br> <p>James P. Cottingham<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= Veneer Co., Inc.</a><br>All opinions are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.

Thank you to Siddartha.&nbsp;&nbsp;Space and memory is no problem.<br>Thank you also to James.<br>To clarify this will be a database visitors will search for info only, there will be no input to the database by visitors.<br>Only me will be updating the database.&nbsp;&nbsp;At the moment I dont know how to do that.&nbsp;&nbsp;Do I update my database on my pc and upload a new file to the server or can I update the database with new info online ?<br>Advice to me sofar is to use Access initially because it is simple to set up but in the future build the database again using SQL.&nbsp;&nbsp;Also to use ASP with VBScript as the scripting language.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>What d'you reckon ????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back