Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Another Design Question 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbidingDude

Programmer
Oct 7, 2012
US
Hello, I'm trying to set up a database for the shop I work in. I want to start tracking defects. Currently, when we have a defective part, we have to fill out a paper defect tag and keep it with the part. I'd like to get all this info in a file.

There are two aspects to the defect tag - the problem, and the resolution. I'm somewhat new to databases, but just to get started, I have a database with 1 table. It has fields for the defect info and the resolution info (who ok'ed it, what was done, etc.) I have an autofield as my primary key to guarantee a unique tag number. However, I'm thinking I should have the resolution in a separate table, but I'd like the tag number to be linked to both the defect and resolution tables. Can that be done? Or should I just keep it as one table?

I second Mike, though XPath/XQuery queries are enabling you to query nodes, this is not at all similar to SQL and if you care about data long term, you better start with a database and not with XML.

Bye, Olaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back