Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

web enable

Status
Not open for further replies.

sqlpro

Programmer
Dec 30, 2003
NZ
Hi friends
I need ur advice on web enabling our vfp8 application.
we have an application (vfp8 front end sql server as backend).It tracks our company tasks and projects etc.,

we want to web enable this application.I want some idea where to start.
I know that we can create a website(using ASP) and redo the
whole application from scratch.
i am wondering if there is any better way of web enabling our existing vfp application without rewriting of already written code??
Hope i was clear.
I appreciate ur ideas.Thanks

cheers

Probably the best bet is for you to get a hold of the book "Internet Applications with Visual FoxPro 6" from (Don't worry about the title, pratically all of it still applies in VFP 8.) There have also been numerous articles in FPA over the years. You can do a search at to see what's still available.

I have to warn you though, that unless you've been very good about keep code out of your forms, switching the app over to the web won't be simple. You still have to generate HTML forms for the front end, unless you want to just use the Internet as your LAN and map to a drive on your server.

-BP (Barbara Peisch)

Thanks for the links Barbara.
The reason we want to web enable our application is
This has become a major part of our development and we want to access this app even when we r away from our office(say some overseas trip).

so i am looking for ways to web enable our existing app.
I appreciate any ideas to achieve abv need.
Thanks for ideas.

cheers

If you just want to use the Internet as your network, you can do that either by using something like Citrix Server (which gets expensive) or by mapping the drive from your server just like you would on a LAN (that has security issues). Rick Strahl had an article on using the mapping technique several years ago in FPA.

-BP (Barbara Peisch)

Thanks Barbara

I am just curious to know just by mapping a drive how can anyone access our app from outside our network?

Anyway i'll look for the article u suggested :)

cheers

Hi Barbara
i found the article but it says..
PRINT ONLY: This article is not available online.
You can read the complete article in the print edition of FOXPRO ADVISOR. To start your subscription, buy an annual compilation CD, or buy the print issue this article appears in, go to Advisor Store.

do u know if i can find this article elsewhere just to read
Thanks

cheers

sqlpro

One option is to use Rick's web-connect product. Are you familiar with it? You can use it to render FoxPro pages as DHTML. There are some limitations (grid and other controls) but overall it is pretty good.

You can also use it to build fat-web apps. I have an example on my site, (2-way app) but unfortunately cannot release the source code.

Rick's web-connect product runs on your web-server. There is a bit of setup, but not too bad and it tends to run well even on low-end servers.

If you are interested – I suggest posing a message on his message board and the West-Wind gurus will be quick to assist. His site is

Jim Osieczonek
Delta Business Group, LLC

Thanks for the post Jim
actually i did not know abt web-connect product.
i'll check it out.
Thank you very much u guys are very cool :)

cheers

On the west-wind page is a developers registry. Some show some vfp samples, but most are using VFP to get the data and not for rendering a form.

Take a look at:

Click on Heavy Duty Brakes, then Select Brake Shoes. These are foxpro forms that are being rendered as DHTML. There are better examples if you look around.

Jim Osieczonek
Delta Business Group, LLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back