Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wasted memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

rooster246

Technical User
Jun 26, 2005
US
I just bought 512MB RAM to add to my existing 512 so I would have 1 GB cuz I'm going to do some video editing. However, when I check the physical RAM being used it is never above 210 MB. It appears to split usage with my Virtual Memory, they usually are similar values. I thought Windows 2000 would use ALL my very fast RAM first and then spill over to the slower Virtual Memory. I feel like I'm wasting all my physical RAM over 300 MB. Is extra RAM simply a waste cuz Win200 won't use it?

Well, I was able to push my physical RAM usage up to about 470 MB used by scanning in and manipulating some large photos. It became very slow. So I expect the extra 512 I bought will help when I'm trying to cut and paste video scenes. However, it still seems strange when my PC is sitting idle that it splits the memory usage between physical RAM and Virtual Memory. If it needs a total of 300 MB to run, why not use all of it out of physical RAM instead of splitting 150 with physical RAM and Virtual memory? -Rooster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back