Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memory Issues ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

rirusstek2

Technical User
Dec 10, 2003
US
The system is an Intel DP55WG, 4 DDR3 2GB Memory, I7 2800, Windows 7 64, Corsair 750 Power.

All of the sudden I could not boot, I got 3 beeps and the count stops at #21.

Removed the Memory Sticks and started one by one. When it starts up, sometimes it boots fine but then I restart with that same Memory stick it gets the 3 beep again. Sometimes if I install 2 Sticks it only reads 1 and sometimes it reads both.

The odd issue is that when I just freshly re-install the Memory Stick (one or several) it may start fine but if I reboot I get the three beeps; then if I remove those Memory sticks and re install the same ones in the exact banks it will restart fine .....???

I have run CCleaner, checked for Malaware have Kaspersky running and no issues there. Ran "House Call" .... nothing.

Any Ideas ............???

Here is the base Product Support page for your motherboard:

"Troubleshooting system memory issues"

"System memory"

As suggested earlier, try to get your hands on known good, compatible memory for your board. Chances of all of your memory being bad at once are slim, but this would help confirm memory vs. motherboard.

heh, your post came in whilst writing mine. Good luck with the new motherboard!!!!

I couldn't load the default Bios because I was not able to START the PC, so I loaded it via USB stick and it was reset. But I got the same error and stopped at #21 and did not go to #22

21 Initializing a chipset component
22 Reading SPD from memory DIMMs

Assuming this and the fact that switching the Memories around it would sometime Start made it very obvious that the Board or Channels of the board are failing. Some times it would read 2 channels even though there were 4 installed, for instance.

This Board has been working without a problem since built back in Jan 2010. I guess it got tired or something.

I would suspect the power supply or capacitors on the mobo. Looking at rirusstek2's link though it sounds like a rather fussy mobo as well.

I think having inspected the capacitors for bulges and leaks and passed them I would try a different PSU and if that didn't work I would try a different brand of RAM (just 1 stick) If that failed I would replace the mobo.

Any chance the PC has been running hot? 18 months without a clean can lead to a lot of dust bunnies in the case? If it has been running hot then maybe some component on the mobo has failed or is about to fail?

I have kept that PC clean as a whistle, periodic dust buildup removal, I have 6 fans running and the Thermal threshold is about 60C, pretty cool !!

The power supply? Maybe. I hope is just the MOBO, since I'm getting one from Intel today. Pretty good support from Intel.

When I get the MOBO out I'll inspect for strange looking capacitors either in the Board or the Power Supply.

I did have a USB bridge go out several months ago.

OK you guys, received the Motherboard from Intel, installed it and it booted up immediately. ...long sigh .............

Everything else is working perfect, the memory sticks 100%. PSU no problem. Updated the BIOS smoothly.

Back in business !!!

Thanks so much for all your support and knowledge to help one through rough times !!!

Thank you.... You were great, as always !!!!

Great to know you got it sorted. Mental note to self - remember that mobo is pos a flaky one! - LOL

Yes, looking around I found this other mobo, it sure does not look like mine ... lol

images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back