Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

warning messages during boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

riteshp

IS-IT--Management
Aug 24, 2000
US
can someone please explain what the following messages mean, which i see during boot up :

warning : forceload of misc/md_trans failed
warning : forceload of misc/md_raid failed
warning : forceload of misc/md_hotspares failed

i started getting these messages right after i mirrored my system through Disksuite. thank you

The following is from DiskSuite 4.2.1 Installation documentation.
Hope this helps that uneasy feeling.

Jack

If you are using mirrored root or /usr, messages similar to the following may appear during system boot:

WARNING: forceload of misc/md_hotspares failed
WARNING: forceload of misc/md_trans failed
WARNING: forceload of misc/md_raid failed

These warnings are harmless, and may be ignored. They are an artifact of the way drivers are loaded during the boot process when you have a mirrored root or /usr file system.

jack,

thanks for the info...my nightmares have stopped now [sig][/sig]

You can actually edit out the specified failing drivers from the /etc/system file, just add an '*' infront of the line, same thing happens if you install Veritas VxVM except its /drv/pln, drv/pln and /drv/ses that normally fail forceload with additions occasionally of /drv/soc and /drv/socal [sig][/sig]

This is funny, I started getting these messages as well and it must have been a while because the last thing we did to this system was disable veritas fs and vm. The machine must not have been rebooted since but now when I boot, we get these on the console. Plus once it's up, there are no services running..... Can anyone think of what to look at?
WARNING: forceload of drv/atf failed
WARNING: forceload of drv/scsi failed
WARNING: forceload of drv/atf failed
WARNING: forceload of drv/pln failed
WARNING: forceload of drv/ses failed
WARNING: forceload of drv/scsi failed
WARNING: forceload of drv/ssd failed
WARNING: forceload of drv/sf failed
WARNING: forceload of drv/soc failed
WARNING: forceload of drv/socal failed
VxVM starting in boot mode...

Status