Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wallpaper is "not on top" 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattmilw

Technical User
Feb 6, 2002
US
I was playing around with the Taskbar's Links toolbar, and now all I have for a wallpaper is a blue screen. If I refresh it, my old wallpaper will briefly flash before the blue screen returns.

If I select the "Classic Start Menu" in the taskbar properties, I get my old wallpaper. When I switch back to "Start Menu", I get the blue screen.

I can't figure this one out, and would appreciate some help. FYI, this is XP Home.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Attack from a different angle, try using the Desktop "Properties" to set everything back to "default".

As best as I can tell, I've got them set at their defaults. The same situation exists though. The wallpaper is hidden behind the blue screen.

See if System Restore helps you out?

Or check your Wallpaper for the Desktop via Control Panel/ Display/ Desktop.

Matt try using a different wallpaper if not then do a system restore like linney said and that will probably help you out!

I thought of System Restore too. For some reason, it shows no restore points. I did some disk cleanup the other night, and I'm guessing I lost them then. Restore is turned on, and I can now create a restore point, but there are no points prior to my current problem.

I've changed the wallpaper, but the same thing- it's hidden behind the blue screen in the "XP" Start Menu. In the classic Start Menu it's normal.

Before this problem cropped up, I was using the non-classic XP style view. After playing around with the taskbar's links toolbar, the picture that I use as the wallpaper of my desktop became hidden behind a blue screen. If I go to Display properties - Themes, the picture shown is the wallpaper I use (but currently can't see because of the blue screen).

I hope I'm explaining this clearly. It's not an earth shattering problem, but it is driving me nuts. I wish I had a restore point to use, but unfortunately, I don't.

Thanks,
Matt

Maybe the fix mentioned here will help.

Or this one as it all started with the Taskbar?

Try Safe Mode (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?).

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

If they don't work (and if you want to ) you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates (no problem if you substitute them with SP2) but your files and programs will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Well, I've stumbled across a solution to my problem. And I do mean stumbled. I went into C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes and removed a theme file called Luna, and the blue screen went away.

I want to thank you all for your help. I really appreciate that you took the time to reply to my problem.

Thanks,
Matt

It looks like I've "sort of" fixed it. When I removed the Luna theme file, I cut and pasted it to the desktop, just so I could keep track of it. It was when I pasted it to the desktop that the blue screen disappeared. I just tried to cut/paste it somewhere else to get it off my desktop, and the blue screen returns.

I'm not sure what to make of this- any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt

Perhaps Windows File Protection has replaced the original back into the original folder?

Did you run SFC (your machine might benefit from it), that might have replaced it too?

Check out what settings you have for the Themes service in Services.

Linney-

I ran SFC, but the problem still exists.

I'm not sure where to look (or what to look for) in services. Can you elaborate?

Thanks-
Matt

I think linney was suggesting that you did not really delete or remove Luna, as the efforts you described above would have kicked in the Windows File Protection Service to restore the file within moments.

I will return to my thought in a post way above:

. for a Theme, there are easily 40+ registry entries, often more, involved;

The Themes Service is native to the XP GUI, and very controlling.

. for "Classic" non-Theme implementations of Wallpaper and backrounds, we are talking about perhaps 10 registry entries maximum.

When in "Classic" mode, the Themes Service does not apply to the appearance of all of the features of your desktop.

Services are found via right-click My Computer icon/ Manage/ Services. I was only suggesting you make sure it (Themes) is there and set to manual (if you are not using the Classic view) and not disabled.

Perhaps if you try pasting another folder (any old one you like) to the Desktop you can reproduce the effect you achieved when you pasted the theme folder there?

What happens if you right-click on a blank part of your desktop and select "Arrange Icons By" then select "Show Desktop Icons"?

What does your Desktop look like in Safe Mode or even as another user?

You were right- adding any folder to the desktop would bring my wallpaper back.

As suggested, I did the "arrange Icons by" and "show Desktop Icons", and it brought my wallpaper back for good, regardless of weather there's any icons on it or not.

I don't really understand what was at work here to cause this, but I'm really happy to have it resolved.

Many, many thanks.

Your Desktop sounds like my bank account, it looks healthier with something in it.

Very, very interesting problem and resolution.

Please report back in a few days as to how persistent the desktop change becomes. I would really appreciate knowing if the problem is truely solved, or only temporarily has gone away as an issue.

One thing to bear in mind (this is true on W2k and Win9x, so guess for XP).
If you set the wallpaper as a BMP, then change to a JPG, when you boot it will show the BMP, then switch over to the JPG. Sooooo if the BMP is installed then the jpg is set, delete the JPG and hey presto, old BMP on boot, blue screen after. F5, BMP first JPG after, etc etc..
Hope this helps
Stu..

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Things aren't exactly as I first thought. Here's where I am at-

If I have no icons on the desktop, I can see my wallpaper ONLY when "Show desktop Icons" is checked off. If "Show desktop Icons" is checked on, I get the blue screen.

If I have 1 or more icons on the desktop, my desired wallpaper is visible, regardless of whether "Show desktop Icons" is checked on or off.

My dilemma is that I usually do not have icons on the desktop. With no icons, I have to turn off "Show desktop Icons" to see the wallpaper. This works until I download something to the desktop, and I can't see it unless I turn "Show desktop Icons" back on.

I hope I've explained this somewhat clearly. I guess if I'd just keep some icons on the desktop, I wouldn't have this problem. I've got a beautiful picture that I've taken and I love it on the desktop, without any icons on it.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back