Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K server DNS issues with XP client

Status
Not open for further replies.

tosh124

Technical User
Jul 18, 2002
GB
Hi all,
I am having a problem with a newly built server & a WXP client. There are a couple of problems which I am hoping you can throw some light on.
1. the client is not able to ping the servers name only the ip address. When I do this on the server it resolves fine with the nslookup command.
2. the client is unable to be accepted into the domain even though there is an account for it set (& it is found). The message that is returned tells me that the domain controller cannot be contacted and the DNS name does not exist (?). Common causes include DNS srv is not registered OR the zone does not include delegation to the child zone.

The event viewer quotes Event ID:1000 "Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. Return value (59)."

is anyone able to throw any light on this (what should I start checking?)
TIA
Colin

Have you checked the DNS setup on the XP machine? Should be the servers IP.

yep, the client does have the servers IP & all of the dns IP's, it just will not find the domain controller.
I'm sure it's a simple problem, I just cannot resolve it.
thanks
Colin

Somewhere between your client and server, ICMP is being blocked. ICMP is used to determine link speed and blocking it anywhere along the path will break GPs. Check all routers along the path.

/Siddharth

Hi Siddarth,
I have no routers on the network, only a hub. The error message I am now getting is that the controller cannot be found and that it is not registered in DNS. when I checlk the DNS entries the dc.msdcs record is there.
Any more ideas.
TIA
Colin

The client is now picking up
-the account name on the server
-using the IP address of the server
The server knows the client is connected as the lease shows as active, yet it still will not allow the client to become part of the network!!!
This is becoming extremely frustrating. Could someone please point out the error of my ways.
thanks
Colin

Are you now able to ping both directions by fqdn and ip address?

/Siddharth

No. I can ping the server, but the server cannot ping the client.
Colin

Remove it from the domain and then try to re-add it. Is this the only PC on the network?

Remove what from the domain? The only item on it is the server.
It is the first client I am trying to connect after a server crash.
cheers
Colin

Try This.

Restart Net Logon service in your DC, then in your DC type in the command line ipconfig /flushdns (enter) and then Ipconfig /registerdns, do the same in any client.

Islander.

If you want to ping by host name have you tried mapping the host name to the 'static IP' in your host file?

You haven't mentioned, is this xp home or pro. Home doesn't network very well. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
"To fear the worst oft cures the worse."
William Shakespeare (1564-1616); English dramatist, poet.

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

HI all,
I tried stopping/sflushing & restarting the service without any luck.
there is a staic mapping in the zone & I am using XPpro.
Sorry guys, as much as I wish it had worked it didn't. I am still getting
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 28/09/2003
Time: 07:08:03
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: COL
Description:
Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. Return value (59).

every 5 mins in the server logs.
has anyone got any more good ideas as I am totally out, having tried the help function & the books, the people in the firums are my last hope.
thanks to all for your help.
cheers
Colin

I hadn't, but the properties are correct. I have no idea if it makes a difference but I am also getting bind errors to 192.168.0.1.
thanks anyway
cheers
Colin

Maybe my suggestion won't work however I was going off of your 1st post where you mentioned the following:

2. the client is unable to be accepted into the domain even though there is an account for it set (& it is found). The message that is returned tells me that the domain controller cannot be contacted and the DNS name does not exist (?). Common causes include DNS srv is not registered OR the zone does not include delegation to the child zone.

Hi Colin

I know how frustrating this should be, because I had somewhat the same problem. The diference was that after a bunch of tweeks I could log in with the administrator account, but the user account was not allowed. For some reason it said that It could not create a temporary profile for that user. It would create mines, but not the user's account. So then I tried some other stuff, and It came out with an error saying that NetLogon service was not running on that PC. I had been working on it for a week, and I had this before, fixed it, but coulnd't get it back to work the second time. So the only one thing that resolved my problems, was just making a clean full installation of WinXP Pro. I took another hard drive, formatted it, installed the WinXP Pro, and then after connected both HD to the PC to move the needed data. That new WinXP installation worked even better than Win9x machines on the network.

So, my recommendation, just format (backup data first) and re-install. Probably one of the registry entries got damaged with any of those virus things going around, I wish I could explain it better.

Good luck!

Reg.

Hi Reg,
I have to say that I am giving it due consideration, such is my frustration. At least I can format & rebuild the client in less time than the time I have spent trying to troubleshoot the problem!
thanks very much for your advice, at the moment it rates *very* highly on my list of solutions.
cheers
Colin

Are you using the full domain name as stated in active directory users and computers (ie domainname.com)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back