Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K server DNS issues with XP client

Status
Not open for further replies.

tosh124

Technical User
Jul 18, 2002
GB
Hi all,
I am having a problem with a newly built server & a WXP client. There are a couple of problems which I am hoping you can throw some light on.
1. the client is not able to ping the servers name only the ip address. When I do this on the server it resolves fine with the nslookup command.
2. the client is unable to be accepted into the domain even though there is an account for it set (& it is found). The message that is returned tells me that the domain controller cannot be contacted and the DNS name does not exist (?). Common causes include DNS srv is not registered OR the zone does not include delegation to the child zone.

The event viewer quotes Event ID:1000 "Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. Return value (59)."

is anyone able to throw any light on this (what should I start checking?)
TIA
Colin

Hi Lapene,
I am using merlin.com....

Colin

I don't know if you have tried this and I realize that it is basic, but I'd hate for you to have to rebuild a machine if it is not necessary. First, delete the account from the Active Directory. Next, from the XP machine, add the machine to the network (using the domain name listed in active directory users and computers, "merlin.com", as the domain) allowing it to create it's own account.

thats what I suggested...... but I guess it had already been tried? Who knows. Its better IMO to create the account on the domain from the client PC. Saves some headaches. Hope everything works out for you.

MTVW, I appologize for being redundant but tosh124 seemed confused by your original post. I also want to stress to tosh the importance of using the full domain name (a sure way to find it is to do an "ipconfig /all" on the w2k server and find the listing for the "primary dns suffix") when adding an XP client to the network. I had a momentary glich whith my first XP machine when trying to add it to our network because, unlike 2000pro, XP will not resolve the prewindows 2000 domain name. Good Luck!

Hi guys,
I have tried deleting & recreating the account, but all fom the server side. I'll try from the client side & let you know how it goes, who knows ;)
thanks for your help
cheers
Colin

Well, tried that, to no avail. The server still cannot be contacted and it is looking for the _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.merlin.com srv record, which I know exists...
thanks anyway
cheers
Colin

You aren't using any antivirus software at the moment are you...possibly Norton?

I am, AVG from grisoft. I have (& do) use it for all my machines. Strange thing tho, AV & the event log picked up the nachi virus in one of the network files (SVhost I think), but when I ran the AV it didn't pick anything up.
On an unrelated note, the XP client is beginning to have trouble with DDE at boot...
Looks like a rebuild of the XP box anyway, but I'll wait a while as there is a guy on the newsgroups who is kindly walking me through some trouble shooting steps. It does appear tho that the problem is quite wide spread as there are numerous posts alnog the same vein in the newsgroups, no answer tho...
cheers
Colin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back