Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VX2 problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 12, 2004
US
FYI:

I just posted this in a Helpful Tip, which I shouldn't have...anyhow have a look.

Thanks,

Erik
-----------------

Bill & Others,

Thanks for the informative post. I have been working on lots of PC with Spyware, etc....this is a helpful forum.

I have been having quite a time with one particular PC. I have done all the things in the FAQ's and such and still I have one that is driving me nuts.

It's a VX2. Lavasoft SE can't get it. Spybot crashes and says something about a Caborot error in the win.ini file. I have used Hijack and many, many others and got must of the others, but this one is nasty. I have used Killbox to try and delete the .dll but it will change names on reboot. I have used AVG and Mcafee and finally Mcafee has me back on the Internet, but I still can't get rid of that VX2. Any idea as to what I have exactly and what I can do to get rid of it?

Thanks,

Erik
-----------------------------------
I feel your pain.

The newer variants of VX2 are incredibly hard to manually remove, and a restore from a backup is my best guess at the moment.

This is going to be a very ugly XMAS holiday season with the stuff now floating around the internet. Can you imagine the genuine grief that is likely going to occur for a child's Christmas gift, or the effort to introduce your senior parents to the internet?

I wrote in FAQ608-4650 my thoughts on manual cleanup. But no matter what else you do this Holiday season:

. disable ActiveX on your browser
. be certain your backup plan is a good one

Best Holiday wishes to all,
Bill Castner

Go to the various sites such as
castlecops, bleeping computer, spywarewarrior and spywareinfo and search within the site for ieautosearch. (You may have to have a membership and log on to the site before you can get search results.) You can look at these threads for things that are being tried currently. I think some helpers are starting to have success in cleaning the new variant.

-------------------------------------
It's 10 O'Clock ( somewhere! ).
Are your registry and data backed up?

CableInstaller,

Happy Holidays to you. That is the best article I have seen on the newer VX2 variants.
A star, and thank you once again.

By the way, is there a more contemporary link to WinsockFix I can use in my FAQ?

Best,
Bill Castner

Oh, and Option^Explicit,
Think about an XP Service Pack 2 compliant release of WinsockFix.

I know about netsh winsock reset
But a slightly more comprehensive approach based on the original notion of replacing the whole registry key set.

Then followed by netsh winsock reset catalog

Best,
Bill

erikhertzel ... Just this morning I switched to Ad-Aware SE, using the latest definition files & the VX2 Cleaner add-in, & it worked like a charm. I didn't even know about VX2 till I upgraded, but it found oodles of instances on my machine & cleaned it up without a hitch.
Are you running the latest build (1.05) & definition (SE1R23 16.12.2004) of Ad-Aware SE?

[cheers]

CorBlimeyLimey,

I am using the latest definition, but I was not using the VX2 Cleaner add-in...how does that work and where do you get it?

Erik

BIS,

It will not help with current VX2 variants.

I wish it was that easy.

Best Holiday wishes,
Bill Castner

:-( hmm, didn't know that. Man, what is an average user to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back