Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Remote for 5600 IP Phones & IP Office? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

superikey

Technical User
Nov 12, 2005
US
Does anyone know when Avaya Plans to release VPN Remote for 5600 IP Phones to connect to the IP Office? I have clients who wish to travel with IP Phones without having to configure them and/or VPN Devices.

Ike
ICCS

You don't need a specific file for IPO.

You can buy a VPNRemote license and then you install that on a WebLM server and you tell the phone to look for the WebLM server to recive the license.

Avaya never said that VPNRemote is supported on IPO and it's never said (to my knowing) that it will be released. They only say that they got it working in a lab under those conditions.

janni78,

Have you been able to obtain the licensing for the WebLM Server. If so from where, do you have part numbers and do you know how much they cost?

Isaac Braca
CTO / ICCS & Co., LLC.
Email: braca@iccsllc.com

ICCS, Your Premier IT Partner, is a NYC Based Avaya Business Partner and IT Consulting Firm.

Yes, please tell. I've gone so far as to open a complaint with Basking Ridge trying to get a license. They maintain that it does not exist.

I got these numbers

196728 0.01 Euro
196727 156 Euro

But don't know if this is the actual Avaya part number since we in the Nordic have to order through a distributor.

If your partner sell Avaya Communication Manager they should be able to sell you that license as it's a part of that product. If you say you gonna use it on your IPO they might not want to sell it just to be safe.

Mine just said we wont give you any support :)

Anyone have any news on this? I was told today that there are no plans to support this on IPO and that no one knows how to generate a WebLM license for the IPO.

It amazes me that the ECS people can't seem to get together with the IPO side of the house and get this done.

We know it works for 30 days, why not just remove the license checking feature and let us have it?

Too easy . . .

I should get my licenses next week, I'll get back with results.

Avaya Supported VPN Remote Phone: 4600 Series phones.

Functioning config:

--4621sw VPN Phone.

--WebLM:(requires Tomcat HTTP server)-Free No License Required.
Download at:

--Cisco PIX 500

--Avaya Part Number for VPNRemote license:
AIO-193716
AVAYA IP PHONES EMBD VPN SFTW RTU

NOTE: You need the MAC address of the server running WebLM before you can request this license from the authorized re-seller.

NOTE: Most of the authorized resellers aren't informed that the product is supported. If you have a hard time getting the part numbers from your reseller: try using a larger reseller with onsite Avaya engineers. (I can email a list if you need it.)

--This bulletin is for informational purposes only - no warranties are made, express or implied--

Thanks MagicStardust.

I'm dealing directly with Avaya and they can't seem to come up with this information. Are you currently running this on an IPO?

I can't wait to confront them with this information. ;-)

Don't know where it's said that it is supported on IPO?

It's supported on CM, it's only tested in lab at Avaya where it worked, that don't mean they support it.

Sure you can order it, but as my distributor said : Don't call us for help :)

You can use it for yourself, but it's not meant to be sold to customer for IPO use. Customers will probably want it if they know it exists but don't think you will get much help if you run into problems until it's officially released for IP Office.

We have it for internal use for our remote workers, we have currently no plan of selling it.

mdegray :

This configuration is running in a production environment using an IPO406V2 running 3.2(17).

One of our subsidiary firms is also running it on IPO406v1 equipment (old VCMs) using the 3.2(17) firmware.

Note: Avaya did not intend to support the 4600 series phones using VPNRemote & IPO. They simply began supporting the 4600 series phones on IPO by popular demand - since the phones work on OneX-QuickEdition, IPO, and CM - companies can more easily migrate to CM if they don't have to replace all their handsets.
--When Avaya realized that the VPNRemote phone didn't check for a license via WebLM, they were essentially giving away a product to IPO users that CM users were paying for - thus devaluating the CM product.
Now as long as you pay for the license it works and is supported: but they are obviously NOT advertizing it.

Are you in the US?
what IPO/version/VCMs/TFTP/etc. are you running?

Thanks MagicStardust!
Yep, I B in Texas. :)

IPO 406v2 3.1(65)
: LAW=U PRI=0, BRI=0, ALOG=8, ADSL=0 VCOMP=8, MDM=0, WAN=0, MODU=0 LANM=0 CkSRC=0 VMAIL=1(VER=2 TYP=1)

Using 3rd party TFTP server. I have WebLM running on my VM Pro server where the key dongle is.

I'm expecting a call today from my contact at the president's office (in charge of my official complaint). They are allegedly going to explain to me why they can't create/sell me a license key. This is becoming comical.

I think you've touched on the crux of the issue with your statement about devaluating the ECS offering. Most IPO users will not be in a position to fork out $275 or more for a single-use license.

First off: upgrade to 3.2(17)
Next: Use the Avaya TFTP Server (or set up the HTTP file server - documentation at Avaya's support site.

If you can't buy a license from them, send me your phone number and I'll walk you through it.

why is 3.2 needed? Not sure I can get that scheduled anytime soon. I have the HTTP server working and am able to login to WebLM. As for TFTP, I've found that the one I'm using is far superior than the one that comes with Manager. It also runs as a Windows service.

mdegray at validsystems dot net

The one built into Manager is crap. These run as a service and are supported:

TFTP Server to use:

(it's what's "supported" for the 4600 series phones)

You can also use the Avaya File Server:

3.2 is not needed, but it has improved networking support.

Where're there detailed instructions on how to upgrade a 4620 with normal firmware to a 4620 vpnremote firmware. I have my VPN configured with netgear hardware and to the point where the phone logs in, but has no voice. This is undoubtedly due to the fact that I do not have the VPN firmware installed. I have downloaded the firmware, but have trouble getting it to upload as none of the file names are typical and changing 46vpnsetting.scr to 46xxsetting.scr alone does not work. Instructions on how to change the firmware will get me up and running I believe.

Thanks,

Dylan Finch

If the phones log in to the IPO you don't need that software. I'm guessing then that you have one VPN box at each side.
VPNRemote is a software that has a VPN client builtin to the phone and don't require a VPN box at the remote end.

I see - that would make sense based on what I know of that firmware. If I have the phone logging in, but am unable to make calls what is the likely cause? The phone actually acts like one does when there are no VCM's on the IP office unit. The system that I am connecting to works well and the VPN link is solid. Would be very interested to know which steps to proceed with from here as a client wants to get this running ASAP.

Thanks for your help,

Dylan Finch

When you make the call are you calling another IP phone or a system phone?
Do you use Direct Media path setting on the extension?

Start a new thread describing the problem and what you have tried when the problem occured.

Hi Guys

Does anyone have version 2 of the VPNremote software as I managed to delete mine?

Thanks in advance

What settings do I need to use on a 46vpn phone to connect to a Linksys RV042?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back