Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Phone no longer receives calls after upgrade to 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

iposcn

IS-IT--Management
May 27, 2007
US
Our 4621 Phones running VPN firmware are no longer receiving calls since the upgrade to 5.

The phones are able to connect to the system and dial out with no issues but if you dial the ext given to that phone it drops the call.

I also tested a bridged appearance on the user and it also does not ring.

The phones connect to a Sonicawall and nothing has changed on the network side.

Anyone have any ideas where to start? Is there new VPN firmware with 5 that I am missing?

TIA

Check the H323 settings in the sonic wall. i have seen them screw up SCN traffic. maybe it screws with IP phone traffic too.

Kevin Wing
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

Thanks Kevin, one of he first things I checked. H323 Transformations is NOT enabled.

We had a similar issue. Although not recommended, the Direct Media Path on the extension's VOIP tab had been checked when we were using release 4.2 (with no apparent issues). In testing we found if it was unchecked, incoming calls worked again using release 5.

Maybe some kind of route issue in the IPO. what do your IP routes look like

Kevin Wing
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

Allow direct media path is not checked on the extension.

The routes are pretty standard:
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.32.1
192.168.32.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.32.1

That is not standard, that is a conflict!
One of them is not needed.
What is the ip address of the ipo ?

ACS IP Office or is it ACSS :)
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

you only need the first one, and then your second route should be the remote network IP.

so

0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.32.1
<remote IP> <Mask> 192.168.32.1

the IPO has no idea about the remote phone otherwise.

I can remove the second route that I have listed, but wouldn't the 0.0.0.0 route take care of the unknown VPN phone? For example, from my LAN I can ping any of the connected VPN phones successfully and I do not have any stating route built for that.

I should add something that I just found. If I HOTDESK into the phone as another user, it will ring.

If you log that user out and dial from that phone what do you see on the other phone ?
It sounds like a no user!!!

I actually have the VPN Phone set up as an Internal Twin on another extension. For example, my regular ext is 3309, my VPN phone is 3209. When I dial from my VPN phone, users see 3309 calling. Used to work beautifully, now outgoing calls work correctly, but will not ring on incoming.

So the VPN phone is a twinned phone with your regular extension ?

Then this is designed!

A twinned phone can not be called.
They need to call 3309.
If that is the case then you could try not to twin the call.
You also could set up that you hotdesk on that phone.

Give yourself a login code
press *35*3309*logincode#

Indeed, this is of your own doing, it is working as designed and documented....see below from the Help files:

"Internal twinning is an exclusive arrangement, only one phone may be twinned with another. When twinned, one acts as the primary phone and the other as the secondary phone. With internal twinning in operation, calls to the user's primary phone are also presented to their twinned secondary phone. Other users cannot dial the secondary phone directly."

ACS - IP Office Implement

"What the Crocodile Hat....was that?

Bridged appearence would better suit your needs I think :)

Sorry, I see you say you tried Bridged. But you need to un-twin the two handsets first then Bridged appearence will work :)

Thank you to everyone for your input and I do apologize for not spelling out the complete config in the beginning. I am aware that the twinned phone cannot be called directly. I will try to un-twin the phones and see if 3209 rings on its own. Anyone every do this same set up with a VPN ext twinned?

Ok, so after removing Internal Twinning the VPN phone works as expected. I set up bridged appearances for the main ext and that is also working just fine.

So I have two remaining questions:
1. Does anyone know if the Internal Twinning is supported in the way that I was originally using it? It was a PERFECT solution.

2. How do I get the LAMP on the remote phone (ext 3209) to reflect the VM Status of the primary ext (ext 3309)?

TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back