Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN and Voice over Frame Relay 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

burtsbees

Programmer
Jan 29, 2007
US
Anyone ever try this? I know VPN over frame seems like doing the same thing two different ways to achieve the same result, but I read a post that a guy that is a consultant had to use 4 routers (2 to simulate the WAN connection), but I have a 2530 config'd as a frame switch, with a 2620 on either side of it. I do have an additional 2620XM, but I would have to buy another WIC-1T if I need to go the 4 router path. Also, has anyone here actually had any experience with VoFR? thanks.

Burt

It's a layer 2 topology, why wouldn't either work over frame relay? Perhaps you are speaking of some technology I have not heard of? voip and vpn shouldn't care what layer 2 topology they are carried over, as long as it's fast.

I agree, just wondering if anyone's actually tried it. I have worked zero with either technology which is why I am trying to work with them in my lab at home. I realy studied a lot and tried working a bit on an 837 I had at home at th time I was studying for CCNP, and I read the crap out of Cisco Press, and did not pass the CCNP tests the first time, like many people...I think...well, the BCRAN, BCMSN and barely the CIT I did the first time, but the BSCI took me more than once. It's hard being a CCNP with no experience...I wish someone would hire me to help with their network---just an entry level would be fine! I'm tired of working with Open VMS, HP-UX, Solaris, and Dell servers!!!lol Enough of my rant!

Burt

I am currently running voice over a frame to two remote networks. Works perfect. Wouldn't recommend using voice and video on what I have. I have a t1 at all three sites into a frame cloud. The only way I could make it work we discussed in a prior post.

If you want to know how I was doing it more I will show you how its shaped on my end.

Cassidy

Yes, that's right! Thank you Cassidy---that would be great. I only have a 2503 config'd as a frame switch, and a couple of 2620's on either end.

Burt

frame relay with traffic shaping is a good way to learn..
youll want to play with the class-maps and set qos policies as well..

we use frame-relay even on point to point t1s just because its easier to configure.. especially on fractional setups.

ours are all on a MPLS backbone so the frame-relay is really only on the local loop..

Come now, Burt! You're the top MVP on TechTips - routers, you passed the dreaded CIT on the first go (I'll not tell my 803/804 story), and you have your own equipment that you work on often. What's a world as this where someone with the skills of Burt can not get a job?! Why, every day he helps network admins who are being paid for the advice he gives them for free.

Let's see; your server experience, CCNP, your work practicing with your own equipment at home, and your posts here helping people with REAL network problems... I say you could claim up to 2 years of relevant experience given those credentials. Anybody disagree? I'd hire Burt in a second over somebody who has 3 years of network experience and just got their CCNA.

The idea is to get past the HR gatekeeper who only sees your lack of experience. Then, when you get to the technical guy, all you need to do is prove you worth. Get some job searching books and study them - such study has proved invaluable for me. Your skills are useless unless you can articulate them well.

Thank you very much for that, Dan...it's just that there don't seem to be any jobs where I live. I was hesitant on getting the CCNP without having any experience, because I did not want to be labeled as being a "paper cert", though I did not use anything like TK, actual exam questions and answers...I'M JUST REALLY GOOD AT TAKING TESTS. i TOOK ENOUGH cANON TESTS, AND THEY TEND TO BE A BIT MORE AMBIGUOUS THAN cISCO, BELIEVE IT OR NOT. Whoops---caps...I only used Cisco Press and router sims and actual equipment. There's hardly no time at home to study...anyway, enough of the rant. I just figured that getting the CCNP would make the HR departments eyes light up...but not yet...thanks for the kind words. For that, you get a star my friend.

Burt

Hey Burt, you should be applying to all the major telcos where you are.. ccnps are always a welcomed addition to their testboards... we have a US partner called INFONET which is a global company with a MPLS core.

just throwing these out there in case you hadn't looked to the telco/isp type of jobs

Interesting...even with zero experience? I mean, I catch on real quick...thanks plshlpme...you also get a star!

Burt

Burt, where do you live? I can't believe you have "no" experience and actually agree with helpdeskdan. If I were you, I'd be writing all the contributions you make on this board as "independant network consultant". :)

In fact, have you ever thought of starting a small side-business? I do some occasional pc and home network stuff on the side, but if you get just a couple customers, either small businesses, or home networks, you would be well on your way to "beefing" up your resume with more documented experience.

Actually, I am planning to start up a small business---I have one client so far, and the main deal there is a Canon copier---I did those for 8 years. I live in St. Louis, MO. I have 2 headhunters working on it now, and I have my resume posted on 2 sites. I didn't think my contributions to the posts on this site were actually that valuable...but thank you too.

Burt

Thanks, I really wasn't fishing for a star, but you do make some excellent contributions on this site. I've been doing networking for quite a while, and can't seem to even pass the CCNA - I'm a HORRIBLE test taker - so I envy you that. I plan on taking it again, and going on to the CCNP cert, but I'll probably have to take each of those tests multiple times to pass them.

ive got my ccna and would like to get my ccnp.. my job pays cash for certifications like that so there is an incentive...

i just dont have the time to do the studying..
but ccnps are valued by employers.. i really cant believe youde have hard time getting a job in this field.

time for me to start on the bsci i guess :p

I guess St. Louis sucks for technical jobs...:(

Burt

relevant work experience: tutoring the occasionally newbie :):cough:: me ::cough::)

=) You rock burt!

burtsbees,
Too bad you don't live in the Miami/Ft.Lauderdale area.
I'll be needing a good networking guy soon.

MCSE CCNA CCDA

Burt,

Might I ask why you're trying to learn VoFR?? Its pretty much a way of the past. The only way to implement it on Cisco devices is if you have a voice modules and such. Even then you're limited to having to have it on the frame routers as its tied to the layer2 protocol. Obviously everyone is screaming about VoIP/IP Telephony. I would spend more time on this and then learn the telephony piece if you're that interested. Even the days of having voice modules in cisco routers is coming to an end (other than the voice modules needed for CallManager). I've done previous installs using voice modules to do PRI/T1 circuits between 2 legacy PBXs. Most PBX's have upgraded to IP capabilities so voice modules aren't even needed anymore..

just my 2 cents

BuckWeet

Actually, VoIP is my ultimate goal, as well as all the VPN scenarios I can think of. I want to get to where I can build and configure networks in my sleep that utilize these technologies. I have a 2503 in my lab configured as a frame switch. This is simply simulating a WAN point-to-point link...I could have used T1 modules, and simulated a T1 point-to-point link, but what I have for now is cheaper. I am trying to see what all equipment I will need for a VoIP lab---right now, I have two 2620's max'd out with flash/DRAM, a 2620XM max'd out with flash/DRAM, a 2503, two Catalyst 2924XL switches, and an 837. The 837 is used for my dsl connection and firewall, and to it are connected the 2620XM and another 2620, through one of the 2924's. the other 2620 is connected via the frame switch to the third 2620. But what else do I need?

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back