Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VOIP. Where do I begin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rookcr

MIS
Aug 12, 2002
US
Well. I have made enough nosie and my company now realizes the 15 yr old phone system is not going to go much longer. They have agreeded to look into VOIP. Can anyone reccomend a book on where to get started. I understand basic routing but I need to ask the correct questions. Suggestions! Thanks

Hi ! I don't know of any books, in general VOIP
requires low latency transmission, voip is small packets, but need quick delivery. Opposing VOIP is internet,
large packets, and can be slow....The routers need to be programmed to send the voip packets prioritized over data. That's it. If you do it over the internet, you can't be promised quick delivery of voip packets, although it does work pretty well/......

I think that you need to examine whether VOIP really makes sense for your application. You can update your phone system to current technology without going VOIP.
My impression is that a lot of people are going VOIP because it is new and interesting without really weighing the pros and cons of VOIP vs a more conventional telephone system. Then go with whatever makes the most sense for you, not with whatever happens to be "sexy".

I'd have to agree with Paul144. Also look at who is going to support the system internally though. If you have internal people who are used to managing computer systems but don't understand telephone systems the programming interfaces tend to be easier to follow with IP based systems making you a little more self-sufficient and making an IT Manager happier than he may be now managing an old voice switch.

If you would share a little more about your infrastructure needs wemay be able to provide some more specific reasons why IP based systems are / are not suitable.

Good luck !

gerrardrules:

Thank you. I have 7 locations spread throught a medium sized city. Currently I have a Meshed IP WAN where all of my branch sites connect through my ISP and I have my Firewall co-located there. Each location has a full T-1 connection and we use very little bandwith. (t-1 was not much more then a 512 line so we put in the t-1 for possible future use). I am starting from Scrap and I know VoIp is the big talk and looking at a full Voip or more of a hybrid solution. Would prefer to be able to manage in house. Currently any time an extension needs to be moved we have to call a local telco company and I want to move to be more self-suffiecent. I may also be looking at a "hybrid" system if there is such a thing because over half of our employees are at the main site with no more then 6 - 7 at differnet locations. We run OPX lines to our other locations and I would like to eliminate those as well. We are a financial institution so I need 911 support at each location. Like I say I am just getting into this. I have a basic to above basic networking back ground and If the system is installed I would like to believe I couls handle a call manager to make moves myself. I understand I need to run QOS on my network which most of my old routers will need to be upgraded. I guess my other thoughts / questions are basic. How is a VoIp system IP'd. Does each phone have its own IP address? I know some phones are dual jacked, how do I prepare an addressing scheme? Basic questions where the answers are not always easy to find. I don't expect anyone to "consult" or tell me how this should be done I just really need a good jumping off point.

Thanks in advance!!

Rook

How large of a system are we talking about? How many users at your central location? It does sound like VOIP might be good for you because of the existing T1 circuits and the remote users. Several manufacturers offer systems that you refer to as "hybrid" above. They are a standard system with VOIP capabilities. The 2 big ones that come immediately to mind are Avaya and Nortel. If I were you, I would get in touch with the nearest Avaya dealer, Nortel/Norstar dealer, and Cisco dealer. Have each of them come in and explain why their system is best. Ask them the questions. Make them earn their money. By their answers, and by comparing answers, you should be able to figure out pretty quickly who has a clue and who does not.

We have roughly 120 users. Not a large shop. Like I say a hybrid in my main and VoIP at the remotes may work well. Thanks for your input. Any other suggestions are appreciated!

Read up on the link below. The Overview and Assesment sections are great. It will let you know what you would need for a hybrid system. Avaya is on a newer platform S8700 servers, but this is a good pdf for understanding the processing. If you go Avaya, you will need a S8700...depending on your growth. The remote sites will need a Gateway each.

If you really want some DETAILED info on the Avaya products and you like reading...

In the future everything will work...

I have done several multi-site installations with ESI equipment. The IVX E or X series are digital systems that accept an expansion card to add IP capabilities. That way you have stand alone, independently functioning systems at each site yet have a tight integration between the sites. You can service observe, light DSS buttons, show mailbox status etc across your IP links. On top of that it is a fairly inexpensive solution.

We put in a Cisco CallManager system about two years ago across seven sites around the US. Our connections range from 4MB ATM to a VPN box hung off the back of a cable modem. We have experienced pretty good performance at all sites, obviously the better (and more expensive) the connection, but better the performance. T1 connections should be fine for what you are wanting to do. I would check out the Cisco solution, it is very easy to use and has great expansion capabilities.

I would suggest an InterTel Axxess, main control unit at your biggest site and if you are only talking about 6 or 7 users you could just run IP key sets at each remote site.

Just make sure you have data switches that offer Quality of service or Voice prioritisation at each site and you shouldn't have too many headaches.

VoIP usually is best justified when you are upgarding your whole infrastructure not just your phone system. For example your network components need to be capable of supporting QoS , multiple VLAN's, and ideally power over ethernet. You can also realize savings by limiting the qty. and type of cabling run to the desk if it's a new build -out.

If they are.... great push on. If not you may be better served looking at a hybrid solution (which allows conventional digital-TDM phones and IP phones) that allows you to use your current infrastructure but migrate later. This seems to be the most common deployment model in any case, as it allows an organization to try the technology before full deployment.

If the Central Control Unit is in the same building as the majority of your phones there is very little reason to install IP phones. You might save £100 on a data point but the IP phone could be £300 more expensive than the equivalent 'traditional' keyset. Plus as you say you need to take into account the quality of your data switches.

IP really comes into it's own when you need to link sites together or use homeworkers.

How are you presently connecting your WAN routers? Are they Cisco routers and if so what model numbers and IOS are you running?

Voice over frame relay on your routers would be a cheap way of using your existing infrastructure or you can run VOIP at a trunking level between your phone systems.

My routers are old 2500's and will not run QOS. I did see something about MLPP (or something close) that may allow me to run QOS. I have been looking at new trouters which would not be bad and the survivability built into some of the new Cisco stuff looks great. My ISP handles my backbone and they offer a hosted PBX solution which in our scenario may work well for disaster continuity planning.

Cisco now offer something called Call Manager Express. (works on ios not a seperate server)

It can be combined with Unity express to offer you a fantastic solution.

To really understand voip - look at the big picture and look at IP Telephony. Think voice services in an application evironment that utilises voip technologies.

For less risk work with someone that has a) experience b) experience with similar type business/structure as yours c) you understand what migration really means and d) work with someone that will work with you.

By going with the wrong firm or person your move to voip or ip telephony can be full of problems. If you have time use these forums to ask questions and learn.

Cisco will offer great insentives to upgrade old 25xx to 26xx so you have no excuses. When Voip and IP Telephony is implemented correctly the technology reduces costs, increases productivity and reduces the complexities.

Its not about hype this technology really delivers.

Another thing to keep in mind is how you plan on doing traditional analog. As a financial institution, I'm sure that your offices have faxes, and possibly a few modems. The easiest solution is just 1FB's from telco, but if you prefer to bring it all back to the main site, there are a couple small hurdles in converting the analog to IP. Be sure that each vendor covers your options there, along with any potential issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back