Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VOIP. Where do I begin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rookcr

MIS
Aug 12, 2002
US
Well. I have made enough nosie and my company now realizes the 15 yr old phone system is not going to go much longer. They have agreeded to look into VOIP. Can anyone reccomend a book on where to get started. I understand basic routing but I need to ask the correct questions. Suggestions! Thanks

Ok, I just posted a similar. We were down to a full IP solution and now I have a vendor with an inside track getting to a vp and making another claim for a hybrid solution, I need any firepower I can get to contiunue with a full VoIp rollout.

You sound like some other financial institutions that we have installed on the east coast. We have been very successful using a hybrid approach - TDM digital at the main site and either IP phones solo or small system that supports IP trunking at each remote. Small system fixes both the 911 and T1 down issues by having one POTS line at each site. That line can also serve for fax/credit card/security alarm/fire alarm etc. My personal preference is Avaya's IP Office for this application (IP412 at main site, Small Office units at each remote) - but there are many others that will serve just great. Good luck
Mike

Why go hybrid when you need to replace the 15 year old system. why not just go all IP? Nortel, Cisco, 3Com and Shoretel all have pure IP solutions. all of the these still need updated routers to run QOS which is most important. we are looking at Cisco and Shoretel. the Shoretel is very easy to install and administer. give them a look you may be surprised at the ease they offer.

jpr4re

Thanks. That is my thought. Ineed justification for the Voip over the hybrid. That is what I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back