Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Voip to Voip phone calls via the "Net"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arugg

MIS
Sep 14, 2004
US
I have a weird situation. Recently setup a Nortel VPN device to allow use of VOIP phones from home via the Net. The Net phones work fine when calling to digital sets in the office. However if they make a call to a I2004 in the office, I can hear them but they can not hear me. Is there a setting or something I'm missing?

If they call to a digital set - 2616, 3904, etc, can they hear you ?

From your i2004, can people normally hear you, and if so, what is the quality like ?

A common 'feature' of VoIP calls is that you can hear the other party just fine, but the quality of your transmission to them is less than expected.
Basically it'll sound like you're in a tunnel, on a cellphone.
In Army parlance, you'd be 'weak and unreadable'
(the transmission, not you per se).
Typically, this is due to lack of available bandwidth.

Given you're using two VoIP phones, you might want to check your bandwidth allotment between the two. Run a traffic analyser like PRTG or MRTG over the link to see if your bandwidth is taking a hit.

Is the i2004 set locked to 10 or 100Mbs, or is it on Auto Negotiate ? If it's on Auto, try setting it to 100Mbs, if your bandwidth can accomodate it.

You might also want to check with your data techs to see if they've made any changes to routing, QoS or have swapped out some hardware.

But, before you do any of that, I'd take Firebird's suggestion and check your firmware.
On the i2004, press the Services key (bottom row, globe with two arrows), and scroll through the options.

For the home Voip phones, if you're using those Nortel USB headsets (i2050, I think), they have a Diagnositcs section in the Program Group.
Quite handy too..

Good judgement comes from experience, which often came from bad judgement..

I've a interest about the VOIP on the net,Anyone could give me the guideline to use this facilities, I've a succession with 2004 IP phone connected on a LAN itselve connected on a VPN behind all the securite.
"On the i2004, press the Services key (bottom row, globe with two arrows), and scroll through the options." Wich setting normaly i should have??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back