Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

voicemail question

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxhiyanxx

IS-IT--Management
Aug 7, 2003
US
We just had a PRI installed last week.. one of the numbers rings through to a group of phones that represents another company on the floor. That line is assigned to "none", and each set that is supposed to ring is assigned to that line. however after the set number of rings the lines kick back to the operator DN and the AA for the main company. basically i want to know the easiest way to create a mailbox for those phones so that after the set number of rings it goes to this mailbox. could i just create a mailbox for one of the phones in the group and then have the system roll over to that mailbox? i'd like to make it so that if there is a message all of the phones message lights would blink but i have no idea if that is possible

thanx

Matt

Yes you can.

Just create a mailbox for the attendant of this group and set Call forward no answer to the number of ring you want and the call will be answered by this mailbox... and if you want you can assign a different DN attendant for this mailbox if the customer dial zero at the message prompt.

Good luck

ok.. there's isn't really an attendant because its just set up so all the phones in that room ring when the incoming number is dialed... the attendant is used for the main business, and we are tryign to keep the 2 businesses as separate as we can while still using the one BCM. so of the block of 40 incoming numbers.. the 6500 number rings to DNs 123 to 131.. and after about 4 rings it forwards to DN 100 and the AA which is set up with the message for the main business. instead i want to make the a mailbox so that if no one is in the room or they are closed it will forward to that mailbox.

You could create a mailbox for one extension but then you would have problems when someone rings that extension internally.Simply because you would need a call forward on the phone.The way I would do it providing you do not need mailboxes for the two extensions. Create a new mailbox and set the extension to be the hunt group. Then set the two extensions as alternative extensions for that mailbox. That way when a message is left it will notify those extensions.You will set the hunt group up as a broadcast and the overflow extension to be the voice mail. You then can set if busy overflow and the queue timer.

If you need the extensions to have mailboxes then you do not put the DNS in as alternative extensions. Just use the remote notification option that way the extension rings but the message lamp does not light.

Hope this makes sense

Marshall

i think i actually understand that! lol.. unfortunatly i can't remote in this weekend because of another issue we are having and someone has to physically reset the BCM... but hopefully tomorrow i can set this all up. thanx for your help!

Matt

the voicemail setup worked like a charm.. unfortunatly the system crashed and had to be sent back to the vendor (unrelated issue). so now i'm trying to set up again but i can't get the voicemail to pick up the huntgroup. i have the line 241 assigned to huntgroup 01 (DN 504), the mailbox 150 setup for 504, and 6 sets added to the hunt group. the lines ring but never go to voicemail. i ran into this issue the last time but i forgot what i did that solved it. any ideas?

Matt

you need to set the voicemail as the queue timeout extension

Marshall

yeah.. i did that... still no good. if i ring 150 directly i go to the voicemail but the group never does. i tried turning answer keys on to extended but that didn't work either.

Make sure you have set up the voicemail extension to be the hunt group number not one of your extensions.

i did that... i tried setting the voicemail as a prime set.. just keeps ringing and ringing

Did you create a new mailbox with the hunt group as the extension number?

yeah.. is there a command that would override the overflow or prime set timer?

Yeah you could have the DRT enabled and the prime set to be something other than the voicemail.

How have you set the system up.

Sorry to ask just trying to get a feel for the whole scenario.

ok.. i'm not really too good with this stuff.. i kind of took over for someone that went on to a better job.. and they are trying to save money by using me.. but here's the senario

we have a PRI coming in.. xxx-6500 to xxx-6539 are the numbers there are also 4 analog lines that are being ported later on but we need to keep for now because the main business is using that #. in the building there is the main company, and 3 smaller companies. 2 of them are only using one extention each so its not a problem. the third company is using the 6500 number assigned to line 241. extentions 123 - 131 (which are the phones in the third company side) are set up to hunt group 1 which is DN 504. line 241 was assigned to the hunt group. a mailbox was created as 150, with 504 being the assigned DN. the hunt group was set up to broadcast with the overflow going to 150. i turned on the answer key to extended, set the prime to 150, everything i could think of but it won't ring over. the mailbox was set up and works if u dial the extention 150 direct. the mailbox has dn 128 and 129 set up to flash if there is a message. also line 241 was set not to go through to the AA in the call pilot. none of the DNs in the 3rd company have control sets.

before the last BCM went out i set it up exactly the way you said and it went off almost without a hitch.. however the system had already been set up buy the old tech guy and i dont' knwo if my settings are exactly like his.

ask any questions you like.. i'll answer the best i can.. i appreciate the help, as alot of money could be riding on this in the long run.. if you want my AIM screen name or anything just tell me

thanx again
Matt

The mailbox number does not matter as long as the extension of the voicemail is the hunt group.

You could have mailbox 150 as long as the first extension is the hunt group extension 504.

Ok I know what we have.

Here is how to set it up.

Add you extensions to the hunut group 504

Set the overflow extension to be the voicemail extension

If you dial feature 985 it will tell you the voice mail extension.

Assign line 241 to your hunt group 504.

Please ensure you have the hunt group DN set as the prime extension for the mailbox 150.

If you set this up you should find it will work. Somethings to look out for

DRT under general settings----feature settings.

If this parameter is set to 4 rings the system will send the call of to the prime extension of the target line.

Marshall

mrmarshall-
I will admit I am much more familiar with Norstar than BCM, but I have found the programming to be identical in most situations. Now, if this were a Norstar- having the MBX misnumbered for an HG is an obvious mistake that screamed out to me as soon as I read his post.

I am not familiar with your quote "You could have mailbox 150 as long as the first extension is the hunt group extension 504" It sounds like you are saying add DN504 to the HG 504 to get the VM to pick up. I am not familiar with this method, though it may work. I don’t see where xxhiyanxx has listed 504 as a member, but only as the actual HG DN.

What I do know is if he changes MBX150 to MBX504, that is what has always worked for me in the past, weather it is BCM or Norstar.

so should i have the target line setup with the mailbox as prime? or shoudl i leave that as none?

bkrike... i don't think the mailbox has to be numbered 504.. only because when i had this working on the old machine i had it set up as mailbox 150 on hunt group 504.. everything worked the way i wanted it until the BCM died...but i'm going to try a new mailbox anyway

on a side note.. if we dial into the mailbox and leave a message, the 2 sets in the hunt group that are set as the secondary extentions for the mailbox do blink the light showing a waiting message.. dont' know if thats a good sign or not

is there somewher eto set the number of rings before the overflow goes to the mailbox?

Matt

the number of rings is determined by the Queue time-out. I would set it low (15) for testing, then go back and adjust as neccesary.

I also just noticed your overflow going to 150. If the MBX number is not the problem, this is another. You want the overflow to be the voice mail DN (the number that shows up when you press feat985) not the mbx number.

I think Brike if you read what I have put on the post it will work. The mailbox mismatch has nothing to do with where the voicemail sends the call. It is the first extension number determines what mailbox the system goes to.If the mailbox is 200 and the extension is 300 the systems sends the extension number to the voice mail and the voicemails matches the follow on extension id to the extension field not the mailbox number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back