Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VM Pro problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunelson

MIS
Sep 29, 2004
US
Occasionally Voicemail Pro will stop responding and any calls that are directed to Voicemail simply drop. From the computer running Voicemail Pro I can see that the service is unresponsive. I'm not able to stop it from the services.msc console. I have to manually kill it and then restart it and it's fine. It's consuming all of the CPU at this point as well.

I am running VM Pro version 3.2.15. Is this the correct version I should be running? My IP Offices that use it are on 3.1.29 and I don't know if that's part of the problem. There doesn't appear to be any released version of VM Pro that is 3.1.29.

Thanks for all the help.

If you are running 3.1 on the IP Office then you should have 3.1 on the VM Pro. You could either downgrade the VM Pro or upgrade the IPO's to 3.2. 3.2(17) is the latest release.

As for your problem, what operatng system/CPU/Memory is the PC that VM Pro is running on??

Jamie Green

Fooball is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

I have VM Pro version 3.1.15 already downloaded and convenient to install. Should this version be fine or are there any known issues I should be aware of with it?

VM Server is running Windows XP Pro SP2, it's a P4 2.8Ghz, 256 MB of RAM.

Thanks for your help.

It should be ok. I can't recall any specific problems with that release.

Jamie Green

I'm having the same problem. The system is running XP Pro 2002 w/Celeron 2.8Ghz 512MB RAM. I have Office 3.1 and VM Pro 3.1. Strangely enough when I go to the Help, About menu the letters are garbled/unreadable. I'm thinking of upgrading to 3.2 for both Office and VM Pro. Thanks!

My letters were garbled and unreadable too; if you navigate to the program directory and right-click on the voicemail executable, you can go to the Version tab and find out what version it is.

For what it's worth, downgrading to 3.1.15 has worked flawlessly so far. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

The garbled text can be caused by the video color depth being set to 256 color. Do you notice in manager if your licenses are valid for VM Pro?

It looks like the problem was not fixed, just delayed. Strangely, it only happens once every few days and I can't find any rhyme or reason for it. The event logs never show anything. Does anyone have any further suggestions for troubleshooting or fixing? Thanks.

I have had the same issue on one of my customer's sites. I have an engineering case open on it, and am working with Tier III on Thursday. I'll let you know if we find a fix.

Get on the supported releases on both IPO and VMPRO which are compatrible with eachn other. Look at avaya.com find the release, and see what the compatible ones are.

temp fix, go to services, and select recovery tab.

Set to restart service, it will then restart when it has issues. This is only a ytemp fix, until you find the problem and fix it.

You do not always get what you pay for, but you never get what you do not pay for.

Are you using VM>e-mail or IMS?

If not then check you don't have any setup. I have had a problem before when the VM was trying to forward messages to e-mail but unable to get to the exchange server and it locked it up. Check all users to see if any e-ail addresses are programmed.

just a thought

Jamie Green

I had a similar problem with the VMP service crashing and having to restart it. What I was told to fix this problem was this, on every menu add a ? for any unknown entries and connect it back to the menu. Because when an unknown button was pressed the VM service would crash.

The DOLLAR SIGN will match a sequence which does not match any other sequence of keystrokes not already programmed. This may work better then ?

You do not always get what you pay for, but you never get what you do not pay for.

I think my problem is a little stranger. I just upgraded to 3.2.15 and that is when the fun began.

I can recreate it 6 out of 10 times...

I listen to saved messages. I get to the end. VMP does not tell me what to do (no WAV is played), or keeps repeating the same option over and over (while not telling you how to return to the previous menu). I start pressing random keys. WHAMO, service dies. [mad]

I know my users are doing this, I know what keys to press, I would not expect them to have it memorized.

My vendor has recommended reinstalling VMP. I will try this and let you know.

I would be tempted to will until friday when the new 3.2 is released.

Apparently there are lots ( and lots) of fixes in this release. approx 3 A4 pages I am led to believe!!

Jamie Green

We have seen the garbled text - seems to be when we are usng remote desktop to get into a users machine. If we goto the VM Pro directly the text is OK. Access the VM system through remote desktop - garbled.

We are also having the same problem.
I listen to saved messages. I get to the end. VMP does not tell me what to do (no WAV is played), or keeps repeating the same option over and over (while not telling you how to return to the previous menu). I start pressing random keys. WHAMO, service dies

Posted this a month ago and got no good responses. I'm hoping that it is a known software bug.

The 3.2 maint release is now forwarded for release on the 27th Oct. due to some major bugs...

You are kidding right? Now it's the 27th of Oct. before we will see the maintenance updates? At least Avaya should be able to produce a document to let us know what will be fixed when the maintenance software becomes available. Thats the frustrating part...knowing that sometime there will be a new download but not knowing if it will fix any of the problems you might be experiencing. I have worked with the IPO since it went GA in the USA and I have liked the product alot but more and more I think they are way behind other manufacturers capabilities for a IP based solution in the small to medium business market. Anyone else chime in on this and what your experiences are with other vendor products that compete with the IPO?

dphoneguy24

cisco product from my friends who have them say it is way worse than the ipo. way more expensive also.

I can believe that from Cisco - Does anyone have any other experience with other vendors comparable to the IPO? I don't know much about the Mitel or NEC, but a competitor of ours installs Mitel but this is what they do to avoide QoS issues: They install them all the time on a parallel network physically on its own cable and switches - seems to defeat the purpose of installing a IP based system doesn't it? They are afraid to touch or be involved in a customers existing network. Then they tout how they never have any problems.

dphoneguy24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back