Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VLOOKUP (or similar) to a datasource rather than a worksheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

matpj

Technical User
Mar 28, 2001
GB
Is this possible?
I've just realised that the data I need to use in one of my worksheets comes from a table with hundreds of thousands of rows.
I only need to retrieve values with Project numbers from a list in another worksheet (of which there are about 600)
Is it possible to perform a VLOOKUP (or just any database query in EXCEL, with values in a worksheet as the criteria???

Matt
London (UK)

Hi,
I would like to know more!

in the main worksheet the key field is Project Number.
It appears only once for each project.

I need to retrive all of the finance actuals for each of those projects from a table with multiple occurances of each project number.

thanks,

Matt
London (UK)

Arghhh, I've just re-read your post and my answer is wrong.
Easiest way is to take you values in the Excel sheet and turn into an Access table (presume that is your data source?) and then query the two tables together to get the data on one table then export back to Excel,
Sorry for the confusion!!

Regards, Phil.

M.U.F.C. Show your true support here:
"Shares not Shirts

Have a look at the SQL.Request function:
faq68-4089

Seems to be pretty much what you want - bit complicated to get your head round but VERY powerful when you do

Rgds, Geoff

"Three things are certain: Death, taxes and lost data. Guess which has occurred"

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back