Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Virus Protection Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfralia

MIS
Feb 20, 2002
US
Would anyone care to discuss you virus protection selections for MS-Exchange 5.5?

What product are you using?

Why did you choose it?

Would you do it again?

Any particular horror stories?

My company is installing an Exchange 5.5 system. We're starting up with McAfee GroupShield because we're licensed for it. However we're open to other products and would like to find the best.

Butch Fralia

Central Industrial Supply

Norton Corporate / NAV for Exchange. Works great, useful stats, live checked without too much impact on the server.

Recommended.

Symantec please note - send cheques to zel@zelandakh.co.uk :)

Mail Security from GFI has a high recommendation from me, particularly as it has some spam-filtering features as well.
-Steve

I vote for Norton Antivirus. My colleagues recommend TrendMicro...

I would stick with McAfee they seem to have their updates to any new virus threat out quicker than most vendors. The biggest problem is the lack of names available when a file is quarantined until you run the RNU but that is an MS problem rather than McAfee.

Chris.

I HIGHLY recommend ScanMail by TrendMicro. It is very easy to install and does a GREAT job. It can automatically update each day & can easily be set to block certain attachments. Works very well.
Roni.

Hi,

I have just started using Panda AntiVirus, and it is exelent, it comes as either just plugins, for Exchange, Proxy, etc.., or as an entire suite.

I have also used Norton, but had no end of problems!, also panda update their Virus definitions very quickly.

We are using Symantec Norton Antivirus Corportate Edition for Exchange and it is doing a great job for us.

Trend ScanMail for Exchange. Autoupdate feature is priceless. I have ours set to update hourly. You can block specific file extension. We haven't had a single outbreak since we implemented it after Loveletter. Install can be a little bit of a pain, but setup is extremely easy. Email support is excellent.
Jessica

Hi,

We also use Trend Scanmail...This is an awesome program and has done the trick for us...no problems and no viruses. It also has some nice "file-blocking" functions so you can also control what users are sending in and receiving!

It also has scheduled update facility, so you dont actually need an entire Trend infrastructure.

Cheers,

Julian

Yes ScanMail had saved me many time with the worm virus coming in, combine with Server protect
it works so sweet, and their tech support are great, they follow up if you have a problem before they close the case

also you can scan individual mailbox as well
what i like about it, it takes every files and scan them as they come in, cuz i do not want to block any extension, we have autocad files, jpeg, exe files and so on
unlike McAfee and Norton where they litterally block extension, where trend can do the same as well

try it first, some told me Panda is good, i haven't try the coorp version

We use Panda Corporate edition. It gets updated almost every day, and I only have one machine that it hassles.

Tried McAfee, and it let virus's thru. Norton is a virus in itself. Nothing but troubles.

I use my e-trust at home. It's great.

We use Antigen For Exchange...when you buy the license you can purchase various scanners such as McAfee,Kasperkey, Norton,Sophos and I think a couple more. You can set this to autoupdate and you can be notified via email when new dat's come out for each scanner. The other reason we picked this product is price, they seem to be cheaper than the others and I still get their dat's. Also it comes with a content filter (subject line and domain restriction). I also do not have to buy an upgrade or relicense when I migrate to Exchange 2K. Since implementation, we have had no virus out breaks via our Exchange server.

We use TrndMicro NeatSuite, which includes Scanmail for exchange. I have set to auto-update twice daily, and any updates are automatically loaded to all servers.

Hands free, trouble free, and most impotantly..Virus free. Chris

It worked yesterday.
It doesn't work today.
That's Windows!

TrendMicro ScanMail: Used it for many years never had a virus get through. Easy to install and updates automatically. Very little work on the IT side.

Man, thanks for the people who support Trend shows up

i been telling people, but most people on this board don't listen to me, i been giving up on advice....

Trend Rocks if you configure it properly, if you need help on configuring it, call their support, they have great support on NeatSuite, not too impress with their PC-Cillin Support, but i don't need support on PC-Cillin, straight forward

I use Sybari Antigen ...
Easy UI - and solid when killing Virus'. Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

InoculateIT along with GFI Mail Essentials works GREAT hand in hand!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back