Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VBA Error handling 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bartekR

Technical User
Aug 18, 2007
GB
HI All,

I am trying to create an error handler that would automatically inform administrator by e-mail about unexpected erorrs occured.

I am using Err.Description and Err.Number methods, however they often don't provide exhaustive explanation of a problem.
WHat i would like to do is to include additional information in the error message that would identify (and show) the line of code that created an error, in other words
- On error copy\store active line of code and add it to the error message.

Could anyone drop me a line of code that would do that?

thank you

I don't believe VBA can record the line number when an error occurs but you could create a rough breakpoint flag that will give you a clue of its origin.

I've used this crude code to identify key blocks of code that could potentially have an unexpected error.

Code:
[COLOR=blue]
Sub force_error()
Dim checkpoint As String
On Error GoTo handle_error  [COLOR=green]'if an error occurs send to location in routine[/color]

checkpoint = "Block 1 in routine ""force_error"""   [COLOR=green]'define stage of routine[/color]

ActiveSheet.Range("A66000").Select                  [COLOR=green]'deliberately force an error[/color]

checkpoint = "Block 2 in routine ""force_error"""   [COLOR=green]'redefine stage of routine[/color]

Exit Sub                                            [COLOR=green]'end the routine normally[/color]

handle_error:   [COLOR=green]'this code should only run if an error occurs[/color]
my_error_string = "Error: " & Err.Number & " (" & Err.Description & ")" & _
                  " after checkpoint " & checkpoint

[COLOR=green]'typically my_error_string would look something like this :-
'******************************************************************
' Error: 1004 (Application-defined or object-defined error)
' after checkpoint Block 1 in routine "force_error"
'******************************************************************

'now send an e-mail to administrator with my_error_string[/color]

End Sub[/color]

You could of course record date, time, user, key variable values (be careful with this because thats where your error could be from), etc.

Hope this helps,
Jack.

You can use MZTools (free from MZTools.com) for VBA to include line numbers in your code, and then capture line number (Erl)with your error.

Have fun.

---- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back