Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VBA Array Handling

Status
Not open for further replies.

slawson7

Technical User
Apr 23, 2007
GB
I want to create an array which looks like the following:
----------------------------
HEADER1 | HEADER2 | HEADER3|
----------------------------
15 |20 |25 |
1 |2 |3 |

This is a dynamic array. It will have at least one column, but most likley more. If my script finds a value of HEADER2, the two values below get updated. If it finds a HEADER4 value, the array is redimensioned and the values added.
My question is - how do I search the array to see if the header value already exists?

Are you really talking about an array, or is this really a table in a spreadsheet? If it's really an array, that is, arrayname(1,1)="header 1", etc., then you can use UBound to see if there's a column. That is, you would loop through column numbers until you get an error from colPop=UBound(arrayname, i). You'll have to use On Error ... to deal with a query into a column that isn't there (you'll get a subscript out of range error). I assume you'll be using reDim every time you add a new column.

If, on the other hand, you're really talking about columns in a spreadsheet (and not an array), you would then just loop through the columns in row-1 (assuming your table headers are in row-1) to see if the cells are poplulated, while not cells(1,i).value = ""

Hi,

You are not referring to a VB array, but rather a spreadsheet array (range).

Check out How can I rename a table as it changes size faq68-1331

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red][/red]
[tongue][/sub]

Bob - Thanks for the help. It is an array I'm talking about - I could use a spreadsheet to hold the value, but I think it would be clunky.

Skip - Thanks for the pointers, but I'm not sure I see how this helps. I need to search for the value in my header row in the array before I decide whether to add a new column, or update values in an existing column.

The approach I think I'll take is to loop through the array looking for the header. If it exists, set a flag. Then if the flag is set, simply update the appropriate values. If the flag is not set, redimension the array and write the data to it.

THanks for your help.

Based on what you've written, I think that Bong's reply is the best solution to your issue. Here is a code example based on his reply.

Code:
Private Sub CheckArray()
    Dim i%

' Iterate through first row of array.
    For i = 0 To UBound(myArray, 2)

' If match is found, update values and exit sub.
        If myArray(0, i) = "Header " & i Then
            myArray(1, i) = "Value x"
            myArray(2, i) = "Value y"
            Exit Sub
        End If
    Next    ' i

' If array is empty, decrease i before proceeding.
    If myArray(0, 0) = "" Then i = 0

' If no match found, redimension array.
    ReDim Preserve myArray(2, i)

' Set values of new member.
    myArray(0, i) = "Header " & i + 1
    myArray(1, i) = "Value x"
    myArray(2, i) = "Value y"

End Sub
Hope this helps.

[purple][ponder]— Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.[/purple]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back