Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Variable not passing

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmclane

Technical User
Apr 14, 2004
US
I have a form that pulls directory and file info so users can open pdf files. I have a list box that gives the sub directories, month year data i.e. "aug03, dec04". Once a user clicks on a choice, they click on a combo box that should list the files. I had this working by hand adding each directory into a table by hand, but I am trying to automate it. I have successfully added code to read the directories:

Private Sub List18_Enter()
Dim myDir1 As String, Str1 As String
List18.RowSourceType = "Value List"
myDir1 = Dir(path & "*.*", vbDirectory)
Str1 = ""
Do While Not (myDir1 = "")
If myDir1 <> "." And myDir1 <> ".." Then
If (GetAttr(path & myDir1) And vbDirectory) = vbDirectory Then
Str1 = Str1 & myDir1 & ";"
End If
End If
myDir1 = Dir
Loop
List18.RowSource = Str1
End Sub

The problem I am having is that now the combobox doesn't update. this is the new code for it:

Private Sub Combo14_Enter()
Dim Myfile As String, StSql As String
Combo14.RowSourceType = "Value List"
Myfile = Dir(path & Me.List18.Value & "\*.pdf")
StSql = Myfile & ";"
Do While Not (Myfile = "")

Myfile = Dir

StSql = StSql & Myfile & ";"
Loop
Me.Combo14.RowSource = StSql

End Sub

I don't get any data now, and I do not understand why. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks, Ken.

- If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit.
Mitch Hedburg

Where is your SELECT statement for the sql located? I am not the greatest SQL coder but I don't see a SELECT statement to initiate an SQL query. Or are you trying to connect to a table? Need a little bit more clarity on what exactly your are trying to do and your coding....

If I take a peek in your Windows, to fix a problem, does that make me a &quot;Peeping Tom&quot;? Hmmmmmmmmmmv [pc1][shocked]

There is no SQL involved, all I'm doing is using the DIR function to get a list of filenames to populate a combobox. These are converted to hyperlinks in the afterupdate event of the combobox. I had all my subdir names in a table, but I had to add the new ones every month. Now I get a dynamic list of subdirs, but I am not getting anything in the file list.
Ken

Mitch Hedburg

Hmmm. I think you may have a better chance using a collection to get all your files in one place, then tie the combobox to that collection. Give me some time and I can show you what I am talking about with a code set.

If I take a peek in your Windows, to fix a problem, does that make me a &quot;Peeping Tom&quot;? Hmmmmmmmmmmv [pc1][shocked]

As far as I can tell, my problem is that the value is never getting passed from the listbox. I have checked in the debug window and it has a value of either 1 or 2, and it should be something else.
Ken

Mitch Hedburg

never mind, I got it to work. Somehow I changed the bound column to 0, need to be 1. I must have done it when changing from a table to nothing. I tried to delete the reference to a column, it wouldn't let me and I put the wrong number back in.
Ken

Mitch Hedburg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back