Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Utility to monitor and log ping/packet-loss and internet speed 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

g18c

Programmer
May 2, 2002
AE
Do you guys have any ideas of a utility that could be used to graph ping/latency/link-bandwidth to help diagnose choppy audio over a VPN that the VPN provider says it is not their fault? :)

Ideally something that i can install on a server that i have control over and set to ping an address.

I am seeing 20% packet loss already just using Windows ping so RTP UDP packets must get hammered much worse, only thing is windows ping doesn't make a nice picture that can be shown to client!

You need a network testing tool which use virtual endpoints at the remote site like the free utility from TamoSoft
It even supports QoS settings.
From the Vendor:
TamoSoft Throughput Test is a utility for testing the performance of a wireless or wired network. This utility continuously sends TCP and UDP data streams across your network and computes important metrics, such as upstream and downstream throughput values, packet loss, and round-trip time, and displays the results in both numeric and chart formats. TamoSoft Throughput Test supports both IPv4 and IPv6 connections and allows the user to evaluate network performance depending on the Quality of Service (QoS) settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back