Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Insert Into with a Stored Procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawlerpat

Programmer
Jun 28, 2002
US
I would like to use the "Select Into" syntax to populate a temptable but instead of using a select statement in the select into I would like to use an execute proc_name statement
Standard Example:
I know the following works

Select * into #myTable from some_real_table

What I want to do:

select * into #myTable from exec my_prop @myParam

The whole purpose in this is to aviod manually defining the temp table since the procedure my_prop might change over time and I would like the select into statement to keep up with the changes.

Thanks

create table xyz(id int, name char(60))

alter procedure xyz2 as
select [id],name from sysobjects

insert into xyz exec xyz2

select top 0 * into #thetemptab from abcdefg

insert into #thetemptab
select * from abcdefg

Thank you both, but neither of your offers are what I am looking for.
I am looking for an option that will allow me to not define #myTable (don't want to write out a very large and sometimes changeing list of fields), and I "CAN'T" change the SP.

THanks,
patrick

sorry I did not fully read your described reason

this may not give you enough space if your table is very large, but,

try this

declare @temptable varchar(8000)

exec @temptable = addthestuff --this is the proc name

select @temptable

You cannot use SELECT INTO to create and load data into a table from the Execution of a stored procedure. You must create the table before using INSERT #Table Exec SP. There is no way around this.

If you want to get the best answer for your question read faq183-874 and faq183-3179.
Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
SQL Server Page:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back