Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using DBAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

raininginmyhead

Technical User
Jun 1, 2007
US
I'm trying to downgrade from Windows Vista to XP Pro, but I've read many forums that say I need to completely whipe my HD in order to do so. In order to do that, they say I need to use the Vista DVD. Unfortunately when I bought the computer, Vista had already been installed and did not come with a DVD. So an alternative suggested in the forums was to use a program called DBAN to whipe the HD. My question is three-fold: Is DBAN safe? If so, where can I get? And will I be able to install XP Pro after it's whiped by booting throught the XP CD?

Hi raininginmyhead,

You can pick up the latest dban here, and yes it is safe and effective for what you need and more:

Although you can use almost any bootCD/disk, that can do a format/fdisk, etc... on it, then clear all partitions, bootup to XP CD, create partition, install and you're set.

Good Luck
DrD

Ok DBAN did absolutely nothing. I ran it with the "nofloppy" option because I don't have a floppy drive. It said it was complete, but when I reboot what do I find... Windows Vista staring me in the face! I don't know what else to do! Please help!

Boot from the XP CD, select New Install, and then Delete/Create partition?

How can I install Win XP Pro SP2 on a Vista Pre-installed PC ?
thread779-1373663

Ok, I just ended up installing more RAM and a better video card. That took care of most of the slowness in Vista. Thanks for the help, though.

Hi Tek. I will give this a try and i will certainly let you know . Thank you very much .

Leaningcurb.

Whenever I do a clean install I use my trusted tried and true Windows 98 SE CD to get me to FDISK and then I use the XP pro CD to start the install or whatever OS I am using at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back