Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using count in a field in a form 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkemner

Technical User
Dec 19, 2001
US
I want to make a field in a form that counts records in a table that is not the record source for the table and limit the count based on a field in the current form. Any ideas out there?

I've used the following approach...
Setup a variable that does a DCount() with the where condition equal to the field from the form. Then create a text field (unbound) on the form. Set that form field to the variable used to hold Dcount() results... Be sure to refresh as necessary... htwh... Steve Steve Medvid
"IT Consultant & Web Master"
e-Mail: Stephen_Medvid@GMACM.com

Chester County, PA Residents
Please Show Your Support...

You can use the following code to count the records.

Dim db As DAO.Database
Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
Dim numrecs As Integer

Set db = CurrentDb
Set rs = db.OpenRecordset("Select * From ... Where field = ...", dbReadonly)

rs.MoveLast

numrecs = rs.RecordCount

If the data in the field that you are searching for is a string, you have to enclose it in single quotes. dz
dzaccess@yahoo.com

Sorry, Steve. We must have been typing at the same time. Your approach should work as well.

Best, dz
dzaccess@yahoo.com

No problem... best to see varying approaches to solving the same simple problem...

I was an orignal FoxPro'er also with FoxBase from the old days. Haven't seen VFP since VFP 3.x though... Steve Medvid
"IT Consultant & Web Master"
e-Mail: Stephen_Medvid@GMACM.com

Chester County, PA Residents
Please Show Your Support...

You did not give much information what version of access are you using? What level of programming can you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back