Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Users complaining about the followi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rand1655

IS-IT--Management
May 27, 2020
US
Users complaining about the following issue:
- Diane (ext 13) places a voice-signaled call to Jack (ext 11).
- Jack uses hand free to answer. When Diane ends the call, Jack's phone rings, and when he answers its a fast busy signal.
- If Jack does not answer it, it goes to voicemail and the message is a fast busy signal.

Apparently this only occurs on extension-to-extension calls but not all users are experiencing this issue. I thought I had is that ext 18 is for the Exec Dir. She switched offices awhile back so I simply swapped the phone lines for ext 13 and 18. However, no phone is actually plugged in the wall for the office where ext 18 is.

At this point, I am not sure where to start besides trying to see if I can replicate it. I do not work in this building but I added a phone to ext 19 so I can try and replicate the issue. Could it be as simple as unplugging the phone line for ext 13 from the module since there is no phone attached on the other end?

It is a Partner system (see attached photo). It was installed way before I came along and I need it to last at least one more year.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=37a871db-ebec-4b9e-a4e5-9fd62b533dec&file=Partner_phone_pic_20200515.jpg
Duane is picking up his handset.
The automatic line select is configured to pick up an outside line.
Duane then presses the Auto Intercom button for Jack. The button is programmed with Intercom *11 (Star for Voice Announce).
The outside line (dial tone) goes onto hold in preparation to be transferred, the Voice Announce Intercom call to Jack is placed.
They talk about whatever Duane had on his mind.
Duane hangs up his handset, and the outside line that was on hold awaiting transfer starts ringing at Jacks phone with Ring-Beep-Beep

Now if the phone company is providing open loop disconnect, and the Auto Intercom call lasts long enough, the call (dial tone) on hold preparing to be transferred will disconnect before Duane hangs up and nothing will happen afterwards.

Train Duane to pick up the handset (which connects to an outside line), press INTERCOM (which drops the outside line), then press the Auto Intercom button for Jack.

OR, train Duane to leave his handset on the cradle, press the Auto Intercom button for Jack, and THEN pick up the handset to talk.

BTW, normal operation would be Duane has answered a call, the caller wants to talk to Jack. Duane just has to press the Auto Intercom button for Jack, wait for the confirmation beep, say something like "Joe Schmoe is on the line for you", and hang up his handset. The outside line with Joe Schmoe on it is now ringing-beep-beep at Jack's phone, and Jack only needs to lift this handset to connect to the call.

Thanks for the swift response! I will try this tomorrow and respond with the results.

TouchToneTommy,
Thanks. You rock. That worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back