Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

user turns off screen saver 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hinesward

MIS
Mar 20, 2009
US

I have a user who keeps turning off his screen saver. What can I do to convince him of the necessity of having a screen saver? He's a pretty smart guy--I would think he would understand it.

I have seen what happens to monitors without screen savers and have no interest in debating whether or not people need them.

Ultimately, if I can't get him to use a screen saver, I could at least get him to turn off his monitors at night.

Your answer is a non sequitir. Go back and read again please.

Does he give a reason? Screen savers are a real pain in the butt, but turning off your monitor at night should not be a problem. Or is it?

+++ Despite being wrong in every important aspect, that is a very good analogy +++
Hex (in Darwin's Watch)

hines. my answer would enable you to prevent that user from removing the screen saver. As such it is quite a acceptable one. He as a user does not have to do against a policy that has as a benefit prolonging the lifetime of the monitor, and eventually also has security issues for your company.

If you dont know how to use group policies ask for it, but dont just state its not a solution, as it is.

If a user does not want to do something, you as a admin (which I presume you are otherwise you should not be asking for it), have the right to force him to do it even if he doesnt like it.

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Some of the programs we use here require admin access to the PC. Taking away his admin rights is not an option. That's why I asked how I should convince him.

Policies can be set to give individuals local admin rights, without giving them access to the screen saver settings.

Susan
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”

I'd still take away his admin rights every single time he turns off the screensaver and make you reset them so he can work. Pretty soon, he will learn that he can't work if he does this. Prima donnas deserve to be treated as the children they are.

"NOTHING is more important in a database than integrity." ESquared

For the most part, I would agree with everyone, however we don't know hinesward's full situation. They may be dealing with someone so far up the ladder they can disregard common sense with impunity. Even a full IT Director or CIO can be overridden in some circumstances.

What if this is a smaller company and we're dealing with the owner?

You could browse the Shart Tank ( ) for some applicable anecdotes that might get him to think (or better yet scare him).

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

Get him flat-panel displays.

They don't suffer from CRT Burn-in.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

I know this sounds overly simple, but have you tried talking to him with the purpose of understanding why he is disabling the screen savers? Perhaps if you understood his point of view, you would be able to find a mutually satisfying solution.

>I have seen what happens to monitors without screen savers

Well ... mostly nothing, to a modern LCD screen ...

hinesward said:
I have seen what happens to monitors without screen savers and have no interest in debating whether or not people need them.

Sorry, but I don't agree. As others have said, if the user has an LCD screen, then it's simply not a valid argument. Data security is quite another matter. Whenever I leave my desk, even if it's just for coffee, I hit Windows + L to lock the PC. The screen saver kicks in after 10 minutes.

Now, a group policy is an effective way to keep the user form turning the screen save off. I'm an administrator on my PC, plus I know what the local admin password is, and I still can't turn the screen saver off.

-- Francis
I'd like to change the world, but I can't find the source code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back