Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

disagreeable, argumentative user

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 27, 2008
US

We have some software which connects with our security system. It monitors who has entered each and every door with a key card. It also locks and unlocks our front door. The software runs on a Windows 2003 server and uses very little resources.

"Ruby" unlocks the door at 8am and locks it at 5pm. She's a major pain.

I've only been on this job for three months. During that time, I have observed many messes that were left by the previous network admin. I've been fixing them as I've found them.

After a while, Ruby began having problem with the security software. I later found that she was using remote desktop to access it, using an account called "door", and then running the software to unlock the doors. The problem was not the security software, but that remote desktop was locking up the whole machine. Rebooting is the only way to get the server working properly again.

I called up the software company. He wondered why we were doing that. I set it up so Ruby could access the security software directly without using Windows Remote Desktop.

Last Friday, I naturally hoped that the problem was solved.

But there is Ruby. Ruby called yesterday to say that she couldn't lock the doors at 5pm. I rebooted the server, and she ended up leaving about 15 minutes later than she wanted to leave.

This morning, I noticed that Ruby is again using Remote Desktop after I had specifically told her not to access the security software that way. In summary, I gave Ruby a way to access the software that does not lock up the server. She has decided to use a way that does lock up the server and then complains when the server locks up.

Always liked:

It's a dog eat dog world - and from where I'm standing there just aren't enough dogs!

Cheers,
Dave

"Yes, I'll stop finding bugs in the software - as soon as you stop writing bugs into the software." <-- Me

For all your testing needs: Forum1393

And who can forget:

Sam: What's shakin', Norm?
Norm: Both chins and all four cheeks.

I just thought of another great Cheers quote:

"If it wasn't for the six times a day we make love, he'd be no fun at all."

Norm said that?!

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

Actually that quote was from the girl friend of one of Carla's sons. I believe the son's name was Anthony.

I think Norm said something like: "I wish I could do anything six times a day."

How far we've drifted off topic, and what a pleasant stroll it has been. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back