Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB to serial convertors

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris0010

Technical User
Sep 24, 2005
AU
I'm trying to get my laptop that has XP pro and has no comm port to work on the Panasonic KX-TD816-1232 telephone systems with a USB to Serial adapter with no luck. Is there a spefic brand of USB to serial adapter that will work with theses systems. By the way the system are located and installed in Australia. Look forward on some feed back. Thank you

Regards

Chris

I have had more results using PCMCIA serial convertors instead of USB. Never really got USB one's to work

I use a product by Iogear called the GUC232A. I picked mine up at WalMart, so maybe you can go to your local TramLaw store and find one. (a little down under humour there)

Try and order online or pick your favorite country of export.

LkEErie

I use the USB/Serial adaptors that come from Dick Smith Electronics, then I connect this to a cisco console cable and then I have variuos adaptors made up for the pana TD range, TVP systems and various LG ARIA systems and it works quite well

I had luck using a "KEYSPAN" USB serial adapther. No problem

I have a few of the single port ones from Startech.com here and they work with just about every application, even the ones on my Mac. But you'll have to hard code it in the device manager to keep the com port on 4 or less though, else some apps can't address it.

Pat MacKinnon
Omni telecommunications Inc.,
London, Ontario, Canada
e: [ pat & omnitel , ca ]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back