Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olaf Doschke

Programmer
Oct 13, 2004
DE
First 9/11, now 11/9

It's a much better day, today, so far.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

No
It was 8/11 - even if you did not find out untill 9/11

& please format dates correctly ;-)

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

My bad,

elections are on the tuesday after the first monday of November, so they are always after farmers harvested the weekend and had monday to ride to the next biggest city for voting.
Yes, as German I live 6 to 9 hours in the future and still learned the election result later, how paradox :)

Perhaps not much more to say on the subject. France has went that route, too. Life goes on.
Just to cheer up the Democrats of you, we have the same problem about protest voters, but their parties didn't made it, so far.

Bye, Olaf.

I remember my daddy telling me that in 1964, everyone was telling him that if he voted for Barry Goldwater, within a year there would be half a million American soldiers in Vietnam. And daddy told me that they were absolutely correct. He voted for Goldwater and sure enough, a year later there were half a million men in Vietnam. (For those of you unfamiliar with that period in American History, Goldwater *lost* the election). [ponder]

Which goes to show that American policy is only partly set by the President. Congress has a lot of say in what goes on. Presidents are limited to 10 years in office, usually 2 4-yr terms. Many Congressional members serve indefinitely - if their state has not passed "term limits". Trump can say that he will build a wall along the Mexican border, but Congress authorizes the money. Just something to keep in mind about American politics.

==================================
advanced cognitive capabilities and other marketing buzzwords explained with sarcastic simplicity

I recall in "Back To The Future", Dr. Emmett Brown asked the time traveling Marty, "OK, future boy, who's the President in 1984?", "Ronald Reagan", Marty replied. "Ronald Reagan? The actor?" Dr. Brown shouted back.

If you asked anyone even just 10 years ago, when Donald Trump was still firing people on his TV show "The Apprentice", if Donald Trump would ever be elected President, you could've gotten unbelievable betting odds. Odds that would make betting on any sports event mere childs play. You could be a billionaire just like Trump.

==================================
advanced cognitive capabilities and other marketing buzzwords explained with sarcastic simplicity

if you asked anyone even just 10 years ago, when Donald Trump was still firing people on his TV show "The Apprentice", if Donald Trump would ever be elected President, you could've gotten unbelievable betting odds

Te Simpsons did back in 2000 IRC :)

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

The Simpsons - wasn't that one of the many Halloween episodes?

Bye, Olaf.

An episode called "Bart to the Future"

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.

Never mind this jesus character, stars had to die for me to live.

Series 11 episode 17 to be technical :)

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.

Never mind this jesus character, stars had to die for me to live.

johnherman said:
but Congress authorizes the money. Just something to keep in mind about American politics.
It's not unknown that democracy is not the election of an autocrat, germany has adopted constitutional democracy with the marshal plan and separation of powers is a good way to not let any one have too much power.

Just watch this debate for a few minutes, it's not the late show sarcasm, though it comes from Jon Stewart;

I wish Jon was finishing any of his sentences, but I can follow his thinking about the freezing of the democratic government by the GOP. I can remember the federal government shutdown of 2013 by the republicans. Now the republicans just have a +1 vote majority in the US Senate, and there are some against Trump here, like Rob Portman, Marco Rubio and John McCain. This isn't ideal for Trump, but already a better initial situation for him than for Obama.

These mechanisms are fine, but I'd rather not like to depend on people like John McCain.

Bye, Olaf.

A friend of mine says that all lives events can be traced somewhere to a Simpson's episode. Seems he was right :)

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back