Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ITT Commercial - Grammar Usage 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsisley

Technical User
May 11, 2007
US
I've seen an ITT Tech commercial about a woman from Indiana who is going to ITT Tech. It shows her talking with her kids and she is saying how great it is to get this education and how important it is that her kids are seeing her work to better herself, etc. At one point during the ad, she says that her report cards, along with her children's report cards are hung on the refrigerator. She says "I have to prove myself to them just like they have to prove "theirselves" to me..."

ARRRGGGHHHHHH!!!

I just want to call ITT and tell them how foolish this makes the student and ITT sound.

Am I the only one who notices these things? Has anyone else out there seen commercials with grammar misuse this obvious?

Fee,

I used to work for BBDO about 25 years ago, and they certainly included advertising as part of their marketing strategies for numerous clients. I recall being told about the 4 Ps of marketing ...erm ... just need to remind myself ...<fx:google> ... ah yes, Product-Pricing-Placement-Promotion

So whilst marketing isn't solely advertising, and whilst the mix of the elements changes, advertising would certainly seem to be marketing ...

Or have I misunderstood?

It's often included, but should be less than 10% of what is actually Marketing. BIG pet peeve!

Fee

"The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

Use of the word 'literally' when something really isn't; very infuriating!

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

Actually, the study itself makes no such claim - they are unable to determine whether better readers use text speak more, or whether a greater use of text speak makes better readers. They are carrying out a further study to see if they can determine this.

Grenage: David Cross has a comedy bit on that, I just heard it a couple of weeks ago. A lot of his content is filthy, but I found that bit very funny.

Thanks,
Andrew

[medal] Hard work often pays off over time, but procrastination pays off right now!

I love David Cross. Man, I miss Mr. Show

[tt][blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

David Cross is hilarious. Mr. Show was odd, but it had its great moments.

I loved him in Arrested Development, it's such a shame that it was canceled.

Thanks,
Andrew

[medal] Hard work often pays off over time, but procrastination pays off right now!

David Cross fan checking in. I firmly believe everyone could benefit from having Dr. Fünke for an analyst/therapist. ;-)

Cool Hand Luke said:
"Dyin'? Boy, He can have this little life any time He wants to. Do Ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, Ol' Timer. Let me know You're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it... I'm just standin' in the rain talkin' to myself."

I've not heard of David Cross before, but I'll be sure to keep an eye out. American comedian, I assume?

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

Yeah, he's an American. I'd recommend checking out Arrested Development if you like dry, intelligent comedy :)

A lot of his stand-up material is too political for my taste, and I don't always agree with him, but he is hysterical.

Thanks,
Andrew

Will give it a look, thank you. :)

Make sure you watch them in order, as it has a running story line.

LeeMcCauslin: I couldn't agree more!

Thanks,
Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back