Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Urgent SIP trunk faxing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark G

MIS
Aug 16, 2018
US
Hi, I really need some help and appreciate anyone who can assist. I have 2 Carriers that I use and I have SIP trunks with each of them and calls work fine (inbound and outbound) BUT When I use the most recently added SIP trunk for faxing via RightFax the faxes fail (Phone line problem error). It only happens with the most recently added SIP trunk (Wil be identified as Trunk B from here on out). My question is how can I route traffic out of a certain carrier/trunk when both trunks A and B use the same resources (SBC, Session Manager)?Is it even possible? I have a feeling it is I just don't know how to do so. Thank YOU so much for your time!

Sadly, we are finding out the same thing just from our short experience so far. But, I have been tasked with getting it done regardless so I suppose it has to happen and soon.

Any other ideas?

Kwick- Curious, what happens when a traditional T1 is not an option? Since many carriers are eventually forcing customers away from it and discontinuing services.

Have you talked to the carrier to see if they have any suggestions? If it works on your other SIP carrier and your CM settings are the same then maybe your second carrier has something set differently. Is your RightFax connection the same?

I don't know how true it is that T1 and PRI will go away, POTS are still around. I think they bring T1s in on SIP and provide a DS1 handoff via Adtran or something similar.

To your original question, you could set up the trunk on a different port number to segregate traffic. I'm familiar with doing that in CM but not with your exact setup. However, that could be the direction you should explore which would help you avoid the 2nd SIP and also help you set up isolated testing during off hours.

If your RightFax will send calls to +12015551212@@pstn1.company.com it will take SIP provider 1 only.

Example:
+1 at 12 digits @pstn1.company.com will only route to SIP provider 1.
+1 at 12 digits @pstn2.company.com will only route to SIP provider 2.
+1 at 12 digits @company.com will route to both SIP providers.

Hello and good morning. Thanks for the feedback. Sean655: Would I set up the trunk on a different port number within CM or Session Manager?
phoneguy55: I like your suggestion but RightFax is currently H.323 and not a SIP product (not the version we are using). So, I would be sending and receiving faxes via a SIP trunk but whie using RightFax in a H.323 RightFax environment/setup.

The CM Sig group and SM would both match the different port. I'm not an expert so I'm not completely sure that this will lead where it needs to go.

Do both SIP circuits use the same SBC? Maybe something can be done based on the SIP invite if there's info that it's a fax call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back