Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading to R5, from 4.2. Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortigan

IS-IT--Management
May 22, 2009
US
Hey guys,

I'm going to be upgrading our IP 500 system from 4.2(17) to 5.0(15) in the next couple weeks. I've done a couple upgrades withing the 4.2 family but never to a new major release. I know the licensing model has changed a bit in this release and have some concerns as to whether or not I will need to make changes to the licenses after performing the upgrade. I obviously plan to take backups of my VMPro DB and system config before the upgrade.

I wanted to see if anyone has any advice or tips for performing this upgrade. Has anyone encountered anything in their experiences that might give me issues? Any advice or comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

Is there a post somewhere with the licensing changes/needed licensing? would I need to acquire new licensing to upgrade a 4.2 system running on a 406v2 to 5.0? I can't seem to decipher it from the GA, although I mostly skimmed the long GA.. and I havent seen a 5.0 matrix yet..

Ahh thanks, they seem to have made it so hard lately to find technical bulletins and documents on the Avaya site, or maybe it's just me..

Just looked at it, sorry still seems clear as mud to me.. all the licensing we have currently is a 4 port VM pro license, does that mean we will fall under the essential licenses? will we still be able to use Phone Manager Lite?

I'm going over the data now, once I have a more clear picture I'll update my findings here. Hopefully we can help each other on this one Infinity306, it seems like there are a lot of potential licensing issues however I have a feeling I'm thinking to deeply into this. I'm going to contact my BP and get their input and will post back soon. Thanks everyone for the linked resources, hopefully I can find the information I need in these pages. Any other caveats you can think of would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

You will not have licensing issues
The new licensing is designed for 6.0
Now you can order them already and you just get what you need
Existing licenses are no problem

ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

tbh you probably are over thinking it. i did the same when i first started looking into it. IMHO Avaya havent documented it brilliantly. or im an idiot.

See what my brain does when it's not thinking about phones.

I have an idea which :)

ACS - IP Office Implement

"What the Crocodile Hat....was that?

Don't put yourself down Tom, I was blaming Avaya :)

sure you did Andy
isn't it time for you guys to go into the pub?
Oh sorry it is 11pm already and the pubs are closing.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

I don't suffer from insanity
I enjoy every moment of it :)

Only 21:45 here...plenty of "shwally ho" time left yet :)

Lightweights....Thursdays means you are working Friday and so you can't do any serious drinking....southeners :)

I share that Humble opinion.. Avaya seems to be pretty darn bad at documentation sometimes.. be nice if they would just put in a page saying here is the hardware required and the licenses required.. and if there are any changes or such that you need to be aware of if you are upgrading a non 500 series system if any.. not just come out with this page of new licenses and nothing saying whether you will need to acquire more licenses to cover your current capabilities or not..

Once you get used to it, it is easy

ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

Ok, I'll rest comfortably in 70 or so years in my Coffin, knowing that it's easy because I just got used to it ;) ;(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back