Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading an MICS NA 7.0 to 7.1 XC

Status
Not open for further replies.

mavstech

Vendor
Jun 13, 2007
US
I am somewhat confused about the different variances of norstar software. I know CDA is for Canada. Is NA and USA software interchangeable?

If i need to upgrade from NA 7.0 to 7.1 XC do I use USA 7.1 XC or NA 7.1 XC software?

No the NA, USA, CDA should not make any difference... The real problem en-lies when trying to upgrade from non-XC to XC. Don't quote me on this but you may have to downgrade to an older xc (2.0) and upgrade by steps up to 7.1XC... once again I'm not 100% sure on that but it's worth investigating for sure

Just to be sure, the reason you're upgrading to XC software is to introduce the companion?

Upgrade to XC is plug and play.

Marv ccna
telemarvlogosmall.gif

Sales, Installation & Service for Norstar, BCM & Allworx Serving Ottawa and Eastern Ontario since 1990

I am trying to expand the current system to add a second 6 port fiber card. I have the upgrade tools necessary to perform the upgrade. Is there different variants of the standard 7.0 software? I know XC has three variants NA, USA, and CDA. Are the NA and USA variants interchangeable?

I could even use a "CDA" 7.1 XC Feature cartridge?

Actually, MICS 7.1 is available in 3 variants:
[ul]
[li]NA-MICS 7.1[/li]
[li]CDA-MICS-XC 7.1[/li]
[li]USA-MICS-XC 7.1[/li]
[/ul]

The first variant, NA-MICS, allows only one expansion cartridge to be installed on the system. The two other variants, CDA-MICS-XC and USA-MICS-XC, allow two expansion cartridges to be installed on the system.

As allworxguy and curlycord said, going from MICS 7.0 to MICS-XC 7.1 is a direct upgrade. All you need to do is power down, remove the MICS 7.0 software cartridge, insert the MICS-XC software cartridge and power up.

The only difference between CDA-MICS-XC and USA-MICS-XC is that the USA-MICS-XC has UTAM for Companion (while the CDA-MICS-XC doesn't). However, what is really important to remember is that programming will be lost if you later try to switch from CDA to USA or from USA to CDA.

Thank you all for the explaination.

The only time the variant is critical then is only when going from earlier versions like 4.1 XC to 7.1 XC correct?

mavstech said:
The only time the variant is critical then is only when going from earlier versions like 4.1 XC to 7.1 XC correct?

Right.

It's also something to keep in mind if you ever need to replace the 7.1 XC software cartridge by another 7.1 XC software cartridge (for example, if you suspect that the one you have is defective).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back