Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading 3300 is it worh it???? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

montrealguyhere

IS-IT--Management
Oct 19, 2004
US
we have 3 3300 running ver 6 something, we have heard of an upgrade to 7.
does this version use SIP ?? and if so does that mean we can now get all our duel mode phones to use sip instead of minet??
what are the advantages of upgrading?????
what are the negatives????

John-up in Montreal

Ok here's my rule of thumb. If it's not broken don't try and fix it.

Upgrade only when you are after features. As for SIP, yes release 7.1 does support sip. Why would you want to use sip instead of minet though? I'm no expert on sip but I'm quite sure you'll loose features if you go sip instead of MiNet.

E

If you need SIP trunks or the ASU-II, do the upgrade. If not, wait for 8.0 or 8.1, lots more new stuff coming soon.

Well , wait till 8, hmmm when will 8 be out??? and is 8 an upgrade or total revision resulting in a new full fee???
if i am in 7 and i go to 8 will there be a fee???

we have been told we need 7 so some new fetures will work,
I do like the SIP idea, you realize with sip we can use sip software and no longer have to use that piece of crap called MY Assistant, and with SIP you dont need to use VPN for out side users with MY Assistant. VPN is great but....
Sip opens the doors to products that are cost effective and NOT BLOAT WARE like my assistant.

John - Up in Montreal

It's about who??????
Then make it about us....

I have heard version 8 will be out in a couple of weeks. I would never recommend being the first. Wait til 8.1 when they've found all the bugs.

One big change in 7.1 is the 3300's will send their system id's (SSID) to one another which it doesn't on version 6. Has caused us problems when receiving and divert calls elsewhere.

In 7 I believe there are SIP user device licenses and SIP trunk licenses. You cannot use SIP devices on your existing licenses unless you have SIP user licenses. I may be wrong? Also with SIP trunks you pay per trunk.

the biggest advantage to rel 7 over 6 is the ability to import and export all forms.

On an existing system, this is of limited value.

As Mitel Passion Says, If it aint broke ...

If we don't take care of the customer, Maybe they'll stop bugging us.

I am starting to think that unless the most recent upgrade fixes a specific problem, then leave it as is until the little (sometimes big) issues are cleared up. Instead of staying one step ahead of everyone, stay one step back! I can't even count the amount of times that a perfectly working system starts to have problems after an upgrade cycle.

I'm very tired of product companies using my customers as a test bed for their product offerings. Ya, they do some testing before release, but they can't test everything! This statement is by no means limited to Mitel. I actually think that Mitel does a better job than most.

Insert Witty Signature Here.

Geez montrealguyhere, why trash YA like that? It works fine over teleworker, no VPN required.
Rel 7 lets you use SIP trunks and/or SIP clients, licenses are needed for each. As well as the ASU II, licenses plus hardware for that as well. I use a combination of YA or X-lite, depends on the users needs, both work fine. Although with X-lite, unlike YA, I don't have to have them connect via VPN first, with YA they just start the client and go.

Miteltech, I trash Your assistant because that's where your assistant deserves to be, in the Trash.
I am not trashing Mitel, Yet....
I have Teleworker, and I now only purchase 5224 phones, with the Teleworker they are awesome. working great from users homes, as well as 10 units in one office we have in the US.
The Teleworker is a Fine product from Mitel, Cheers to them on that one.
The real problem is the soft phone software.
Its trash, linking to every piece of Microsoft software installed on a users computer.. it slows down all our users to a Pointe that they refuse to open it.
I was advised that there was a lite version ,, but like the elusive loch ness monster, everyone says they heard of it, BUT one has ever seen it...
Mitel people tell me "oh ya we have the light version, we should see if we can get it to you"
its been over 2 years and we ask and ask and ask....
Hey we are not new to Mitel up here, we own a lot of there product, 6100,6110,6115,6120,6140,6150,6160, yaw server , enterprise manager (OPS MAN) Teleworker solution, and 3 - 3300 controllers. and we even got there Conferancing solution, called ICG server.
I trash it (Your assistant) because Mitel wont even stand behind this piece of certified CRAP, if they did, they would have helped long ago.

hey if you like the yaw server, I will sell you mine......its that or a boat anchor, but will probably fail as that as well.

John - Up in Montreal

It's about who??????

Hmmm, mine works fine for 43 users in TW mode, all on the road sales reps, doesn't slow my PIII 1 Gig Dell down much. Granted I do know when it's open, the app itself does use a fair chunk of resources but I only uses it when travelling, so no biggie for me. The sales guys all have P4's, no complaints there. Sorry about your YA luck.
ICG is being replaced by Mitel Quick Conference, or has been replaced. The lite version was removed years ago as the 3300 had trouble with that many YA clients conecting to the system for Mitai requests. It was replaced with the server/client model so only the server establishes the Mitai session.
Sorry about your luck I guess. It works for some, doesn't work for others, pretty much like everything else in this world.

YA Lite was meant for users that wanted Softphone Functionality only. It remains available today. I have just checked our price book.

YA is a pretty good product, although some changes are comning down the pipe to increase audio quality and provide a number of other enhancements.

Remember YA is not a product that is specific to just Mitel, but is also made for Nortel and Bell Canada, as well as other telco manufactures around the world. It has been branded from Mitel as a Mitel product (which in all honest, if you follow the ownership of YA back, it actually does become Mitel).

I would suggest having your VAR open a ticket if YA is causing you this much grief. Mitel will help but only if a ticket is open.

I have opend many tickets with our VAR, I have spoken Directly with Mitel, even the VP of sales, out Mitel rep who deals with our VAR, they all say YA sure we can get it to you
But they all are full of it
No one ever gets back and helps.
over 2 years we have been asking our var ( BELL CANADA) we asked our Vars Mitel rep, 2 of them John Bianie,( Retired so they say) And now some new guy, and they promised so many times that they would look ito getting us the lite version,.. but i have learnt now that mose SHI& come out of the mouths of our VAR and Mitel rep than comes out there sphinckter.

As for mitel support out yaw server, hahahahahah you must be kidding, Mitel will NOT deal with end users.
they pass you back to the var.
The Techs at our var are still old analog guys learning the whole IP thing.
they are good guys that come to support us but they just dont have the know how yet.

So if you guys really have a copy of the all elusive LITE version , can u pass it over here some how???? i want it BIG TIME.

50 licences just sittin there wasted........

John - Up in Montreal

It's about who??????

Ohhh, so your VAR is the problem? Support only deals with the Var's. Bell Canada doesn't have an answer for you? There are aother VAR's out there. Just cause they are nation wide doesn't make them the best. Hence why we have Rogers, Telus, and ohh nevermind, Bell has sucked the others up. If you're not a dealer, tell your dealer to go to bat for you, if Bell won't go to bat for you, there are plenty others who will. All it takes is the Yello pages, just not Bell's as they are censored!

wow thats service.....
thanks i will try it out.

as for our Var we are almost at a pointe of not using them any more for support, i find this group amazing and verry helpfull,
I have figured out slowly how to configure out 6160, 6110, 3300, 6150, 6140 with out bells help prairiefyre has also been amaaazing help they are the software people behing a lot of the mitel product. they have a GREAT team and if you ever have to use there product, they are always there for the client. a lot more that i can say about our VAR or mitel.

thanks
John

John - Up in Montreal

It's about who??????

FYI, I work for Bell.

Not in the East though

If we don't take care of the customer, Maybe they'll stop bugging us.

Sorry to resuscitate this old thread but do you think you could kindly repost YA-Lite on yousendit.com kwbMitel ?

After finding this thread and smiling with glee it looks like I just missed the boat and the link has expired!

YA Lite is available from Mitel Online if you have an account. If you do not have an account your VAR will very easily be able to download and provide it for you. The current version of YA is 4.0

Support for 3300 ICP and SX-200 ICP telephony
and data features
Visual conference call management of up to eight parties
(five parties on the SX-200 ICP)
Dial from PIM
Speed dial / favorites
Support for multi-line and basic multi-call operation*
Call recording
IP-based software telephone (Softphone)
Call timer and annotation
Call history
3300 ICP directory*
LDAP or Active Directory integration
Fully configurable user interface
Choice of languages English (U.K. and
French (European and Canadian), Dutch,
Italian, Portuguese (European), Spanish
and Latin American)**
Built-in online help files, Your Assistant
support page
For full details of the features and functions
by Your Assistant Lite, please refer to
feature comparison matrix
* Not available on the SX-200 ICP
** The SX-200 ICP only supports English (North
(Canadian) and Spanish (Latin American)

I don't have a mitel account and each time I've asked our resellers they either don't have this version and will ask a colleague or talk about licensing costs. I'm after the older yet unsupported free version which, as I understand it, is no longer available.

This is mainly after reading that YA-Lite installs a working mitel tapi driver which would be good to have. The idea of the YA-lite softphone also sounds nice to play with, but we'll probably never have a genuine business need and so convicing those with the money to buy licences we won't end up using seems quite unlikely!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back