Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrading 3300 is it worh it???? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

montrealguyhere

IS-IT--Management
Oct 19, 2004
US
we have 3 3300 running ver 6 something, we have heard of an upgrade to 7.
does this version use SIP ?? and if so does that mean we can now get all our duel mode phones to use sip instead of minet??
what are the advantages of upgrading?????
what are the negatives????

John-up in Montreal

Which version of YA is the free "lite" one? I can't remember. I might have it somewhere on my hard drive

I'm presuming it's YA Lite 3.0.9 and earlier as this was posted above.

i Have YA Lite 3.0.8
You're welcome to it. What is your email address

montrealguyhere: Can you please provide a status update with your current issues with YA?? Have you stopped using it altogether??

Hi MitelMail, That'd be great.

It's richdoe229<at>yahoo.co.uk

I think there is an attachment size limit so if its likely to be larger than 10MB it might need to be zip/rar split into 2 or 3 emails to send.

in regards to ,,,montrealguyhere: Can you please provide a status update with your current issues with YA?? Have you stopped using it altogether??

Yes we hardly use it, out of 50 user licence we may use 1 or 2 max, its a pig to use..

users refuse to use it, as for the light version I was finnaly able to get a copy from some one here, thanks...
Our vars sale people spews so much BS out there mouth about getting us a copy its a joke, even the Mitel rep spoke about getting us a copy , another sales man with a big mouth that cant follow through on promises. never could get us a copy..... because there was no moneey in it to line his pockets i guess. over 2 years of pushing the VAR as well as Mitel themselves got us nothing... this support group has helped more and i thank you all.

but the users are fed up and refuse to trust this product and wont waste time with it.
so I wont even bother to try these days.

thanks

John - Up in Montreal

It's about who??????
Then make it about us....

We have 50 licenses and YA server. During the last 3 years none of those were in real production. We tryed to offer it to users and ALL of them refused to use it on regular basis and asked to uninstall. In the US in most cases people use a cell phone instead of messing up with some sort of software which has issues when system comes back after standby or hybernation. Instead of this we use twining feature. I do not recommend YA. I have to admit that our people a little bit spoiled and YA might be usefull in some other environment.

No offense meant here, but anything that requires a server in order to function adds a layer of complexity along with a high profile single point of failure. Personally I've been at this game long enough that I've grown tired of the whippings. You give something to my users it damn well better work 100% of the time, not 99.

We tried selling a small pilot group of our users on the commercial pass of YA last year, but no one expressed much interest beyond what was already in the free YA Lite. They wanted a desktop dialer and call history, period.

Perhaps we're different, but my users only need a phone that works and is 'stable as Jesus'. To that end until 5 years ago a third of them still had analog 2500s. Today 99% are multiline display sets (4025/4150). Those running YA are homed into a couple per bays slaved off of a 3300 and are tickled to death with it (YA).

Killer app #1: YA Lite

Up until the recent introduction of the 5340, selling any of my users on the idea of an IP phone was met with the response, "why? what's wrong with the phone I have?" Unfortunately I face the same obstacle when trying to sell sr mgmt on the concept of upgrading. "What's wrong with what we have today?"

But all that was before they saw the 5340. The 5340 could well become the 'must have' we've been looking for to convince these people it's time to go IP.

Killer app #2: The 5340

Finally, thank-you Mitel for listening and designing the partitioned drive and SWAP command for the 3300. Those hour-plus upgrade outages were attracting way too much negative attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back