Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade to CM 5.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kokolatas

IS-IT--Management
Nov 19, 2007
GR
Hi.

i just need some info on how to upgrade my customers to the new CM.

I have the .iso image of the CM and i know which if mine customers have a valid SSU.

What i should next? Do i need to download for each customer of mine a new valid RFA License? what about the upgrade process?...Is it possible to install the CM 5.2 on top of the CM 5.X without formatting first the old OS (some kind of upgrade inside the web maintenance)?

Any info would be appreciate.

Thanks

Upgrade through the web browser.
It will put the new load on a separate partition and boot into it. You can always boot into either partition. So, if the upgrade has issues, you could get back to the previous (pre-upgrade) load.

A great teacher, does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

35 years Bell, AT&T, Lucent, Avaya
Tier 3 for 25 years and counting

If they are currently on CM 5.x then you will not need a new license file. just specify during the installation to reuse the current one.
Don't boot to the CD, but use the manage software to upload the files to the processor then upgrade. You'll be able to punt back to the old version if there are issues with the new.

nice to hear all this. my most customers are on 5.x versions and they will go on on 5.2 so i will try your way guys.thanks.
what about if i have a customer with a 4.x ver? does he need a new lic?

Yes, you will have to get a new RFA license that has the change from cm4 to cm5 in it.

A great teacher, does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

With the RFA licenses - in regards to LSP/ESS servers out there. When you upgrade an LSP/ESS site from CM4.x to CM5.2 - is an RFA license required? Or when the Main site is upgraded to 5.2 and the new RFA license is put in place, at that time will it push out to all the LSP/ESS sites automatically during a save trans?

Thanks,
CJH

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. ARISTOTLE 384-322 B.C.

You need separate RFA Transactions to upgrade EACH remote ESS or LSP, they will all need transaction #'s to upgrade their licenses to CM5. Each MAJOR CM version needs a license, and the LSP's and ESS's also need licenses when upgrading them.

In fact, you need to upgrade the LSP and ESS Servers FIRST as part of any upgrade. The Main server/location is done LAST, after all of the remote sites are running the new release.

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

Can upgrade my LSPs remotely? Load the CD on the S8700 and access the files somehow remotely to upgrade the LSP? Or do I need the CD physically at the remote site, then upgrade remotely.

Thanks,

Jim

you do not need the CD there, however, you need to have a TFTP server setup, that points to the data, then you can use the web browser to load that image, as 1 of the 3 installable images allowed... so no, you don't need th eCD, but you do need good access from somewhere that has the data on a TFTP server.

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

Cool, can setup a TFTP server on our domain controller at the remote site.

Thanks Mitch.

Jim

Do i need to burn the iso image on a cd? Is there a way to load the files on the server and then manage the upgrade? If yes how should i download the iso image?

Thanks

You should burn your iso image on a CD.
Use the web browser Manage Software to copy the needed files from your CD and then upgrade.

bsh

The notes on Avaya's website state:

'The Communication Manager software on this website is available only for use in the creation of backup images or at the direction of an Avaya employee or authorized Avaya BusinessPartner and at present is not customer installable. Only Avaya technicians or approved business partners shall use this software for system installation, upgrade or recovery per the terms of your maintenance contract.'

So obviously this is installable by knowledgeable customers. Do I take this literally, ask my BussinessPartner to bless it or go ahead with the plan to upgrade from 5.0 to 5.2? I do have a maintenance contract with Avaya.

Thanks,

Jim

nothing needs to be burned to CD< there are program like "MagicDisc" that can mount an ISO image on your PC, and show it as a drive ltter. You can then take any number of TFTP programs and point them to that drive letter, and use the "maint web interface", "manage software" to load the image onto your system.

Then it's a simple matter of installing the image.

FYI, if you have a Business Partner I would suggest they help you, if you have never done an upgrade before.
There is also documentation on the AVAYA website which shows how to do it, but for your first time it would help to have some guidance.

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

Mitch,

I have done an upgrade before, 2.2 > 2.2.2 but it was one server with the CD in the drive. I'll be okay on my own, once I ask a few more questions :)

Should not be an issue with Avaya and my contract though?

Jim

I was trying to keep it simple. Burning a iso on CD is one option. It's probably the most used. If you do a lot of upgrades, it's a waste of time and CDs.

below are options for Managing software and copying the files you need.

ls -l /var/disk/Releases (upgrade Manage Software)
cat /var/disk/Releases/versions.txt (upgrade Manage Software)
------------------------------------------------------------
Upgrade
Manage Software (cm5)
Upgrade Tool

Progress:

Choose Task

This server is currently running release: S8720-015-02.0.946.0

Select the task to perform and click Continue.

Copy a release to the local hard drive, but do not install it.

Install one of the following releases currently resident on the local hard drive

* 05.2-02.0.943.0
* 05.2-02.0.945.0
* 05.2-02.0.946.0

Delete one of the above releases from the local hard drive.
(This does not affect the release that is running on the system.)

Note: If the web session times out, you can recover by logging in again and
clicking the Manage Software link from the menu.

[root@server1 Releases]# du
48 ./05.2-02.0.943.0/Servers/data
68 ./05.2-02.0.943.0/Servers/bin
120 ./05.2-02.0.943.0/Servers
4 ./05.2-02.0.943.0/rpms
61316 ./05.2-02.0.943.0/subsys/ACP
90776 ./05.2-02.0.943.0/subsys/FIRM
165644 ./05.2-02.0.943.0/subsys/SYSTEM
317740 ./05.2-02.0.943.0/subsys
317868 ./05.2-02.0.943.0
48 ./05.2-02.0.946.0/Servers/data
68 ./05.2-02.0.946.0/Servers/bin
120 ./05.2-02.0.946.0/Servers
4 ./05.2-02.0.946.0/rpms
42876 ./05.2-02.0.946.0/subsys/ACP
75356 ./05.2-02.0.946.0/subsys/FIRM
18872 ./05.2-02.0.946.0/subsys/SYSTEM
137108 ./05.2-02.0.946.0/subsys
137236 ./05.2-02.0.946.0
48 ./05.2-02.0.945.0/Servers/data
68 ./05.2-02.0.945.0/Servers/bin
120 ./05.2-02.0.945.0/Servers
4 ./05.2-02.0.945.0/rpms
40876 ./05.2-02.0.945.0/subsys/ACP
74936 ./05.2-02.0.945.0/subsys/FIRM
12 ./05.2-02.0.945.0/subsys/SYSTEM
115828 ./05.2-02.0.945.0/subsys
115956 ./05.2-02.0.945.0
571068 .
[root@server1 Releases]# pwd
/var/disk/Releases
[root@server1 Releases]# cat versions.txt
05.2-02.0.943.0
05.2-02.0.945.0
05.2-02.0.946.0
Max of 3 on a server at once, you must delete one to install another.
Progress:
Choose Task
Choose Source
Choose Software
Copy in Progress
Copy Complete

Choose Source

These pages allow you to copy a new release to the local hard drive without
installing it. The directory structure for the source of the copy must have the
same directory structure as the software distribution CD-ROM.

This server is currently running release: S8720-015-02.0.946.0

The following releases are resident on the hard drive:

* 05.2-02.0.945.0
* 05.2-02.0.946.0

Select the place to copy from:

Copy from this server's CD-ROM drive:
Copy from remote server
Method:
SCP
HTTP
HTTPS
TFTP
FTP
SFTP

URL Value

Proxy Server:(eg proxy.domain:3152)

User Name

Password

Host Name or IP address

Directory

Select one item from above and then click Continue to proceed. Click Cancel to
cancel the copy.

Note: that if the web session times out, you can recover by logging in again
and clicking the Manage Software link from the main menu.

bsh

What am I doing wrong?

I have updated firmware on my G700s. Took a while with TFTP and doing it remotely but worked fine. Now I was only try to copy CM 5.2 to the LSP via 'Manage Software' and keep getting this error:

"Invalid Installation Media tftp://10.250.10.11/Releases"

The IP is a server at the LSP location. The TFTP server is pointed to a virtual drive using 'MagicDisc' (Thanks Mitch) with the root directory being the ISO root.

Tried http with same error.

Please help

Thanks,

Jim

if you did that, then just point the TFTP outgoing directory to the root of the MagicDisc virtual drive, and make sure that the proper options are set in the TFTP program so that subdirectorys can be specified. There is even the "Walusoft" TFTP server on the CM 5.2 CD, under the "PC SOftware" directory, I find that one works pretty well, but you need to specify the right options for it, to allow it to traverse subdirectorys, it sounds like it is not allowing that, because it can't get to the "Releases" subdirectory.

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

I've tried Pumpkin TFTP which I use for firmware updates, Solarwinds TFTP, the old Avaya TFTP, didn't try Walusoft yet.

I know I made the root directory for the TFTP server the root of the 'drive' of magicdisc. I'll have to make sure that it allowed sub-folders.

Thanks,

Jim

Tried again, verified sub-folders were allowed. TFTP will not work. Even rebooted the S8300 to see if that would help. Next I will try to configure a second NIC as 192.11.13.5 to connect to services port on the S8300.

If that doesn't help, I'll have someone in the remote office plugin the external CD-ROM.

Thanks,

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back