Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade to Aura messaging?

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestfx

Technical User
Mar 8, 2013
US
We are looking at upgrading our Voicemail from Modular Messaging to Aura, and we are trying to determine if we need to purchase Session Manager to do this. We are curious if anyone has set up an internal SIP trunk between Communication Manager and the Aura Messaging Platform, without Session Manager and System Manager?

midwestfx,

You do not need Session Manager to upgrade to Aura Messaging. SIP trunks can be programmed from CM 3.0 and higher and Aura Messaging is managed via a web portal.
Session Manager is required for SIP endpoints and requires System Manager for admin.

Awesome, Thanks for the info dignoffo. I really appreciate it!

-midwestfx

If you have 6.x I thought AVAYA won't support SIP trunks outside of SM

We have 6.1 and sip trunk from CM works fine......(e.g. to Asterisk voicemail.... ;-)

Sekitori

They certainly do support sip on 6.1 and above , I can confirm this as the official course docs now suggest setting your link to Messaging from CM as SIP rather that h323.

APSS (SME)
ACSS (SME)
ACIS (UC)

hmmmm..interesting. My BP told me AVAYA doesn't 'support' SIP from CM, even though it will work. Apparently, the want the customer using SIP.

I'll be honest.. I'm looking at a new VM system (Esnatech)and the BP has to price out SIP licenses on SM since it's a non AVAYA product, but he did say from CM would work, but isn't supported. That's going to equate to about 10-15K

Are you sure they are not talking about SES or direct SIP into CM from a carrier ETC... with no SBC ,Internally between CM and CMM either embedded or stand alone CMM is okeley dockely !!!!!!

APSS (SME)
ACSS (SME)
ACIS (UC)

NO, this isn't a SIP trunk from a carrier. It's just to pipe in a new voicemail system. I guess AVAYA is pushing the customer to use Session Manager, even though it will work fine via CM. I guess it will be a cost thing and a comfort of support thing since there's a chance this won't be an AVAYA system we are integrating.

wpetilli is right, this is not SIP into CM from a carrier, this is just a pipe to the new Avaya Aura messaging system.

-midwestfx

You are fine then and supported.

APSS (SME)
ACSS (SME)
ACIS (UC)

You don't need Session Manager and System Manager to do this.

You could also just use a gateway to convert your current connection to SIP fir the AAM.

Ken Means

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back