Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade Merlin Legend R7 to Magix

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetac

IS-IT--Management
Nov 2, 2006
US
I have had several posts in the past trying to emulate Partner's ASA on a Legend using an announcement box, calling groups and call pickup. Somebody got it working remotely after playing around with it for a bit but the customer lost the backup config and the PCMCIA card literally cracked in half (never seen that before) and the person who got it working could not remember how. We have got close to the original functionality (described at the bottom of the post) but can't seem to get it exactly how it was working before. I am thinking about upgrading them to Magix because I think this functionality can be done without hacking it in. Is this true? If so, what is the best way to upgrade? They have a Legend R7 processor, a 016 T/R card (only being used to connect the announcement box so not needed with Magix?) and Merlin Mail card for nighttime voicemail with outcalling.

It was a long time ago that Merlinman and TouchToneTommy were helping out trying to figure out the solution. Has anyone successfully implemented this type of ASA setup with Legend since then? If not, I will look at upgrading the system. IN that case, can I backup the existing config in WinSPM 9, convert it to Magix, swap out the processor and restore the converted backup to it or is there more that needs to be done?

The original working setup had the following characteristics:
1. Call would ring on all extensions. The line for the call would flash and another programmed button would flash.
2. After 3 rings the extensions would stop ringing. The caller would hear the announcement followed by MOH.
3. Once the call left the announcement box a light on a button on the extensions flashed (and i'm pretty sure it flashed quicker as more calls were piled up similar to what would happen in a calling group threshold configuration).
4. Users could press the button with the light and their extension would ring with the call.

They did not need to login/logout at any time. I seem to remember the extensions NOT being members of the inbound calling group but saw and heard the calls ring because the line buttons (801-803) were programmed on the phones. I thought the lines were members of a calling group with no members and there was a pickup button one each phone to get a call that was in that other group. The calling group where the calls rang (with no members) was setup on a button which lit up when a call was in that group.

Thanks!a

You are ALMOST describing Group Calling with a "Calls in Queue" counting monitor. However, you throw a large monkey wrench in the works when you say "...No log in or log out".

The Group Calling part, along with a Light that changes blinking speed REQUIRES an auto LOG OUT Calling Group with MEMBERS Logging IN to get calls and LOGGING OUT to NOT.

Are you absolutely certain about the "...No log in and log out" part?

-merlinmansblog.blogspot.com

All they had to do was press the lit button and the call would ring. Is it possible that the button logged them in but when they hung up the call it auto logged them out? They never had to separately log out in order for calls to queue after x seconds.

Is it not possible to pickup a call that is in a different calling group? Or assign a member to that group that does not have an extension and have them logged in permanently and have a pickup button for that extension? It would "ring" at the members ext (which would be transparent because the extension does not have a phone) and the users could pickup the call that is ringing on the "phantom" extension. It sounds good in theory but may not be possible...

if the line buttons are already on the phones, why not just pick up the line that's on hold?

The problem is getting the call to hold automatically if it has not been answered within X seconds. Basically need Partner ACS's ASA functionality on the Legend. As per it's feature set it is not possible but a tech had it working almost exactly to ACS. The config was lost due to power outage and the backup card was cracked so either trying to re-emulate the setup or potentially upgrade with minimal expense to a system that supports that behavior natively.

With GROUP CALLING, with no agents available, a call can be answered, given an announcement, then placed in "QUEUE" with back ground music. After a period of time another announcement can play. The process can be repeated until a timer expires. HOWEVER, in that situation, the call will eventually be "DISTRIBUTED" to an agent, not just placed on hold.

Now, if you were to putz around and have the LINES on the phones, you maybe able to just pick them up once they are in queue. I am not sure, but it just may work for you.

-merlinmansblog.blogspot.com

That said, can the DISTRIBUTION location be chosen? Can it be the general mailbox? They turn on NIGHT mode when they leave so calls would only follow this path when there were people in the building and the calls are typically answered in under 3 mins as a rule. The question would then be this: if a button is programmed on each phone with the calling group number, will it light when there is a call in that queue? How would a non-member of the group pick up that call? Is it a standard pickup programming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back